Friday, November 3, 2017

Let The Pie Baking Begin + Buster in "Doughboys" + Trump Belongs In Jail

Okay, enough sports! Let's get back to movies and all the other things I talk about ad nauseum (and remember, that's my punk rock name), and most of all let's enjoy the Holiday Season. Elizabeth, I liked your post about starting to bake pumpkin pies now instead of waiting three more weeks. I'm with ya on that one. And for that matter, apple pies too. :)

Any other pie requests? Not at the moment, you say? What are you, nuts? Well at any rate, if you do have more pie requests or suggestions, send 'em to me and we'll get to work on baking 'em.

Hey, did you ever see that episode of "The Flintstones" when Fred started his own Pie Company? I don't recall how he got the idea. Maybe it was because Wilma won a pie contest? I need to see that episode again soon, and the whole darn series, but anyway, Fred ended up with hundreds and hundreds of frozen pies that he couldn't sell - maybe it was because Barney and Betty were undercutting him - and he was reduced to selling the melting pies for pennies by the freeway in Bedrock. I've probably seen that episode at least ten times, but I haven't seen it in at least 30 years. Unlike "Gilligan", I cannot recite "Flintstones" chapter and verse, but I still know all the episodes, and the one with the pies is a classic.

Tonight at CSUN we saw Buster Keaton in "Doughboys" (1930), I think it was his third movie for MGM, and his second sound movie. Last week we saw "Free And Easy", his first "talkie", which was made on the MGM lot and was fun mostly for that reason. "Doughboys" was a better movie overall, with a more traditional storyline : this time Buster enlists in the Army for World War One. He does so by accident, thinking he has entered the local employment agency to ask about hiring a new chauffeur. Buster is a Stuffy Rich Kid once again, a part he plays so well. Now that he has mistakenly filled out the enlistment forms, however, the fix is in. He is sent off to Boot Camp with several other dubious characters (MGM was great on that score, filling out the cast with talented character actors), and after his horrendous training experience, he is sent off to fight in France.

In case you were wondering, hijinx have ensued since the start. Buster is of course interested in a Girl Who Will Not Give Him The Time Of Day, this time played by the stunning Sally Eilers. She and Buster keep bumping into one another, though, because she has joined the war effort as a "hostess", something it seems they had in WW1 to keep the boys happy. Nothing crude, just a program to bring women overseas like in the USO, to serve coffee and lend an ear as a motivational tactic for the soldiers. Hey, I didn't write the script for the early 20th Century, so don't kill me. You'd be surprised, maybe and however, by the independent spirit that was displayed by women in these early Hollywood films. And you can always see for yourself.  :)

Buster naturally Gets The Girl by the end of the film, and that is how it should be, though in Real Life, I think it should happen much sooner than The End. That would kinda suck if, in real life, The Guy didn't Get The Girl until The End. I mean, you get what I'm sayin', right?  :):)

I think in the 1930s they had things down. I was saying to Grimsley after the movie that I wanna get into a Time Machine and visit the 1930s, because people were really nice back then.

At least in the movies.

No hikes the last two days, just taking a break after last week's marathon. Reading Stephen and Owen King's "Sleeping Beauties", and I think "like Father like Son". It's hard to tell who wrote what, but I am getting an idea in paragraphs here and there, and in many places I am laughing my ass off.

That's a King Trademark - that in every book, no matter how evil or scary, you are gonna laugh at some point, and now it's his son doing it, too. They are unique American Weirdos, those Kings.

I am watching Keith Olbermann's videos, from his online series "The Resistance". These videos, which he updates every other day or so, are keeping me not only On Top Of Things where the Trump investigation is concerned, but because Olbermann is so articulate, impassioned and intelligent, his videos are the only thing keeping me sane on The Trump Front.

It's not just that Trump needs to be impeached now. He needs to be put in jail, because he is an Arch Criminal who has commited Conspiracy Against The United States Of America, the same charge that Mueller leveled against his crony Paul Manafort.

Trump is not just a Bad President, or a Dumb One. He is a criminal, and he belongs in jail.

Sorry about the tirade. But at least it's not sports.

See you in the morn.  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment