Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Happy To See The Photo + "Midnight Run"

That was a good photo from the Slowdive concert, Elizabeth. I am super glad you went to the show and had a blast. You know, I forgot to mention it, but I have seen a few Slowdive posts since they began their US tour, and one post was from a stop in the Midwest. It wasn't Madison.......maybe Detroit or somewhere like that. Anyway, they posted a picture of the theater marquee, and it showed "Slowdive" in big letters, and then under their name it had some upcoming concerts with other bands, and one of them was I Prevail.

Pretty cool, eh?

Guess who I thought of when I saw that name? 

If your answer was "The SB" then you got it right.  :):)

I hope you will go to more shows asap and keep taking pictures! I love it when that happens.  :)

I saw one other post that said "finished a project today". The project in question was a "collapsible bookcase" in Chicago, but because the post was via someone I had not seen before, I thought that maybe you were using it to mean that You Yourself had finished a project. If you have, then that is great. I imagine it has been a period of adjustment for you since your move to the city, but as I have said, things are gonna pay off, and then everything will take off for you. I've been right so far, and I've got my money on me to be right again. Watch and see.   :)

Today was a Golden Agers Tuesday, so no hike. At this time of year it is a little tougher anyway, because the Sun starts going down at 4pm and it is pitch black by 5:15. But I will get some photos myself, and in just a few weeks (December 21st) the Sun will start going back the other way and the days will get longer. Meanwhile we will enjoy the Holiday Season and try to avoid freezing when the inevitable L.A. Cold sets in.

There was a movie tonight : "Midnight Run" (1988) starring Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin. Grimsley had a VHS tape of it. Luckily, I am one of the few remaining humans who own a VHS tape machine, and so he came over and we watched it. I had seen "Midnight Run" in the theater, back when it was released in 1988. It was a big hit at the time, and it holds up pretty well nearly 30 years later. 1980s style filmmaking of this kind of movie - i.e. the Action Crime Comedy - was very over the top, with exaggerated conflict - cops galore, really stupid crooks, humorless Feds, shrieking foulmouthed bailbondsmen, and in that respect I suppose it is a crude continuation of the same kind of farce that was seen in the 20s and 30s, with criminals making the coppers look like fools. The difference here is the Buddy Element, and the updated 1980s touchy-feely subtheme. DeNiro is a bounty hunter tasked with bringing Mafia accountant Grodin (on the lam in New York) back to his bailbondsman in Los Angeles, so that the latter will not lose his bond money and go out of business. The majority of the film then centers around the developing relationship of the sensitive, inquisitive and overbearing Grodin character on the exasperated, worn out and "only in it for the money" character of DeNiro the bounty hunter.

It's a classic 1980s style Buddy Movie, and in that respect it holds up due to the chemistry between the two leads. Grodin and DeNiro play perfectly off one another. Throw in some great character actors like John Ashton and Dennis Farina, and you have an entertaining box office fare. Think "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" except with the lower key DeNiro/Grodin buddies instead of the insane Steve Martin/Jon Candy duo.

Not a classic, but fun nevertheless.

Almost done with Dr. Farrell's Rudolf Hess book. I pounded it in one week, and it is such a mindboggling story - and one that I was entirely unaware of - that I ordered another more comprehensive book on the subject, which I think I already mentioned.

Tomorrow I will write my letter for certain, and I will tell you about it.

See you in the morn.  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment