Monday, March 19, 2018

Fatty, Buster and The X-15

Back at Pearl's and tired beyond measure. Tonight let's call it Cretaceous Period Tiredness, first of all because we are having fun with that word, and secondly because we are always looking for new Tiredness Terms, and I think Cretaceous works because it was 80 million years ago, and it feels like that was the last time I got any sleep, haha. I actually got some good sleep yesterday, but I can't allow that to ruin my metaphor.

We had good singing in church this morn, then I drove straight to Burbank to take Sophie shopping, then right back to Pearl's at 4:30. This eve I had some downtime, and instead of a movie or a "Rawhide" I watched a couple of Buster Keaton shorts that he made when he was still under contract to FattyArbuckle. I wrote about Fatty and Buster last Fall when we were doing the Keaton Retrospective at CSUN. I think those guys were insane in the best sense, and I think I remarked at the time that, because these short "two-reelers" (20 minute movies) were made one hundred years ago, we as modern viewers may be surprised at the wildness of the characters, plots and action. We (or maybe just me) expect things from a century ago to be more sedate, or at least more conservative. It's like when you're a kid and you can't picture your parents ever having been wild and crazy kids, because.....they're your parents. I think it kind of works the same way with movies from 1918.

How could they have been this much over the top? It was 1918 for crying out loud.

But we see, with Buster and Fatty, that they were flat out nuts, and it's a lot of fun to watch.

I wonder if movies from the Cretaceous Period are as wild?

I also watched some more footage from my "X-15" dvd set, which as you may recall I purchased from a company called Spacecraft Films last year. The X-15 was the most famous of the supersonic rocket planes that set speed and altitude records in the 1960s. The Air Force filmed all of the test flights up at Edwards, and they are incredible to watch. It made me wish for another air show, which I am jonesin' for as much as I am for a trip to Disneyland. We used to go to Edwards all the time in the 90s and early 2000s, and I even got a picture of me standing next to the X-15 (which I probably already mentioned), and the thing is that it's just an awesome place and it blows your mind to go there. They used to have great air shows at Van Nuys Airport every Summer also, until 2007. My last Edwards show was in 2006. After that, all the budgets cuts kicked in, and our local air shows were no more. I think I wrote this same paragraph when I first mentioned the "X-15" dvd upon it's arrival last October, and if so, sorry about that. It was good to watch some Buster and Fatty, and some X-15 in any case, and I think they all sort of go together, wouldn't you agree?

Of course you would. You are probably halfway through The Harold Lloyd Collection and are already working on the Saturn V dvd set from Spacecraft Films. My goodness! You know I can't keep up with you. :)

Two days until Spring. 2018 seems to be going by very fast, but it's a weather thing. Once the heat kicks in, time will slow down. This is gonna be the year when something really good happens.

Trump is not forever.

My appeal to the CIA is still pending, for nearly four months. Surely if they were just gonna shine me on, they would have done so by now. So I figure they must be examining my case at the very least.

I've been trying to tell the truth about something important for almost thirty years now.

This has gotta be the year when something good happens.

See you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment