Monday, March 5, 2018

Pretty Good "Oscars" + Hey Elizabeth

You know the drill : Sunday Night Tired, eyes propped open with toothpicks like Fred in that episode of "The Flintstones". Fred was super tired in that ep. Not sure which one it was or I'd try and find a clip for ya.

So what'd you think of the Oscars? I thought it was pretty good, as Oscar shows go. It looked good, at any rate. That was one of the most beautiful stage sets they've ever had. My main problem, this year more than ever, is that I really didn't know any of the films. Of the nominees, I had only seen "Dunkirk", so I was rooting for it to win everything for which it was nominated. I am gonna see "Shape Of Water" because I have liked other Del Toro films, but it didn't grab me enough when it was first released to get me to rush to the theater to see it. I guess with the Oscars I just miss a lot of the old "classic movie stars" that they used to have........(oh no, here comes that horrible Old Person Cliche!)...

Back in my day.

Oh man, that's awful! Don't use cliches like that, Ad! You are not an Old Geezer! (okay, I won't use cliches, sorry bout that).

But doggone those classic Old Movie Stars. They had to go and die off, and now they've got a lot of people on the show.......(omg, what I am gonna say now? Do I dare call 'em "young people"? What does that make me, then? Man, this is a bad situation...)

Where was I? You'll have to forgive me, I am Sunday Night Tired. I think I was talking about some of the younger folks on the show. Some of them, I have no idea who they were. I've just plain never heard of them, and that's because - and in all seriousness now - there has been a crossover in recent years of other branches of the entertainment industry into the Oscar telecast. It began a while back, maybe in the 90s. First, you had a rapper or two show up. Then lots of TV people. And now, it's a major crossover with the music industry. I mean, I know that the Oscars has always been about promoting Show Bizness, but it just doesn't feel as special as it used to. Where are the Audrey Hepburns, the Gregory Pecks? It used to be a display of Ultimate Movie Stars.

I know we are in a different era. One thing I liked tonight was the Inclusiveness Vibe. And the support for women. You know I'm not  grandstander on that issue; I watch chick flicks and I voted for Hillary Clinton. I also loved the part where Jimmy Kimmel and the actors walked over to Graumann's Chinese Theater to surprise moviegoers with a big "Thank You" for watching movies for 90 years. I have watched my share, and I love the heck out of the movies and the Stars.

I'm really not a curmudgeon. I mean, c'mon, you know me. I just wish they made more great movies nowdays. Stop with all the PC issues, and scripts about PC issues, and just make great freakin' movies, which Hollywood was the best at for such a long time.

Let's just call tonight's Oscars a Good Show, and I'll make it a point to see "The Shape Of Water" when it comes out on dvd.

Elizabeth, if you are reading, I've seen a lot of posts on FB in the last couple days, mostly via Sara. Her posts all seem to be referring to musical difficulties of one sort or another. Album delays, the OJ Slow Speed Chase as representing all of the threats to a career in music.

You probably know which posts I mean. I imagine that Sara is being facetious, but I would just say, as I always do, to her and you and all of your friends - and especially to you, SB - that it doesn't matter if all the symbolic "reasons represented by cop cars" are chasing you down, and you are OJ in the white Bronco. "Parents, Jobs, Money", whatever it was that the meme said.

The Bottom Line is that you never give up on what you are doing.

I won't call it your Dream, because it is beyond that. It is not your Dream. It is your Reality.

This is what you do. Sara too, and all of your friends who really believe in what they are doing.

We talked about all of this stuff years ago, and we covered all the bases.

There will be times when it will be a necessity to focus on money, but regardless of that, you forge onward and keep your focus, because what you do to get money is not What You Do.

Do you understand? It's like an actor waiting tables. It sucks to wait tables, and you want to do it as little as possible.

But you never, ever, give up your focus and say "screw it". You never do that.

I am the Case In Point, and you can trust what I am telling you, though I am not famous and have not had a career as an artist. But you can still trust me, because I know what I am talking about. It's no joke, so pay attention, because this is life.

I only mention all of this because of the Sara posts, which seem just a bit cynical, even if they are in jest.

Money is just something you need to pay your bills. We talked about that six years ago. Of course, you want to have as much of a monetary cushion as you can get. But if you change your focus, and if you begin to focus only on monetary safety, then you may find yourself in danger of surrendering.

And trust me. If you ever do that, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

My advice to Sara would be, "just focus on your music". I know how hard it can be, and how scary, when you are in your 20s, and trying not to get sucked in to the 9 to 5 world.

But you can do it, and you will do it, if you just keep your focus on your art, and understand that while money may be a necessity, there are ways for an artist to pay the bills and remain focused on the art.

It's all about seeing Life As Art.

Live your life as a work of art.

Money? You can get it when you need it, to pay your bills and have some left over for fun and security. Just believe that you can get it, and you will get it, in a way that works for you. Ultimately, you will earn your living entirely from your creative talents. There is Zero Doubt of that, and you know it. 

So live your live according to your art, and the rest will follow. You can trust me, because I know, even though I am not famous.

See you in the morn.

Oh, and I forgot to mention we had good singin' in church this morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment