Saturday, March 17, 2018

"Twin Peaks" Episode 6 + Clarifying The Writing Process + Let's Go See Alice Cooper

Writing from home tonight. I'm off until Sunday morning as usual. No movie tonight, but I did watch a "Twin Peaks" episode, #6. Agent Cooper is showing signs that he is very slowly beginning to remember who he is, and that part of the story is intriguing and very well acted by Kyle Maclachlan. He has a sort of "Forrest Gump" or "Rain Man" simplicity about him now, and he is also very vulnerable, which makes his scenes a little touching, something you don't normally expect from "Twin Peaks" or David Lynch. Episode 6 was great for the most part, except for two scenes with very explicit violence that did not need to be included and should not have been. One showed a little kid getting hit by a car. Sorry, but I had to mention it, because I don't know why Lynch would have filmed such a thing. Also, because "TP" was made for Showtime instead of broadcast TV like the original series, the writers - Lynch and Mark Frost - are making liberal use of the "F" word and even the "MF" word once or twice, and I feel that those words are not very "Twin Peaks". They didn't use 'em in the original and they don't need 'em now.

Still a great show. I'm just a little perplexed by tonight's brief though explicit violence and the overuse of bad language.

I was rereading last night's blog, and I see that I could have done a better job in making my point about communism, as it was alluded to in "Man Of Marble". I made a roundabout comment about "why would anyone erect a statue to a bricklayer"?, and when I read it back, I thought I sounded like a jerk. In the next paragraph, I attempted to explain myself, and I did an okay job, but as I've mentioned before, this occasional failure to make my point in a conclusive and satisfying manner is a fault of mine that results from three things, mainly. One is that, when I write, it is late at night and I am usually dog tired. Two is that my mind jumps around all the time, and my thoughts far outrun my ability to type, so I'll begin a thought and sometimes follow it only halfway through before finishing the paragraph with the beginning (or middle, or end) of another thought. I apologize for when I do that, and also for when I write in a vague manner, which I did when I tried to comment on Elizabeth's post last night. I wanted to make some very definite points about living through family dysfunction, and I didn't do too bad, but my sentences were not as clear as I would have liked. And that brings me to reason #3 of why my late night writing is sometimes less than crystal clear, and that is because when I am writing at 1:30 in the morning, I don't have time to go back and proofread and then edit and restructure my work.

My old blogs on Myspace usually featured proper sentences and paragraphs, and even though I still had back then the tendency to "mind wander" when writing, I had much more time in those days to go back and fix things so that everything read back properly as it was meant to.

I learned a lot about writing in the Myspace days, and what I learned that was most important was that printed words (i.e. text of any kind) must be elucidated much more specifically and in precise syntax and context, than spoken words. It's kind of like the two surfers having the "Dude"....."Duuuude"! conversation. When those guys are speaking to one another, person to person (and Dude to Dude), they understand each other perfectly. But if you were to transcribe their tete-a-tete into writing, no one would get it. You, as the writer, would have to do a lot of 'splaining.

And so that's what a writer must do every time he or she writes : explain things by constructing proper sentences and paragraphs, by finishing thoughts, and by trying to remain in context and not go off on multiple tangents (ahem.....Ad?).

I know how to do all of this, and if I were writing for hours at a time as I once did for Myspace, and if I had time to edit, and if I weren't writing in the middle of the night when I am half asleep as I do nowdays, I could promise fewer blogs where my point is unclear or poorly stated.

I will shut up now, as I always must, but thanks for listening, and thanks for understanding when a blog is somewhat muddled.

I had some fun tonight Googling some Beatles chord charts. I learned "She Loves You", and - a great one to strum - "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison. Both are easy to sing and play. As a bonus I learned "Show Me The Way" by Peter Frampton. That one's got a few tricky chords that are harder for me to hold down, but I can cheat on some of 'em anyway.

I got me a ticket for Alice Cooper at The Greek in August. I will be going alone, which sucks, but at least I'll be going. Elizabeth, if you are reading, Alice was just in Madison a couple nights ago, at the Orpheum. You probably already know that. :)

Still don't know if I'm gonna go to "Judas Priest" or not. I've been watching clips on Youtube from the start of the tour, and the music sounds okay.....and I know that it's compressed sound from a cell phone......but for God's sake, there were once two guitarists named KK Downing and Glenn Tipton that created a nuclear meltdown on stage every night, with Rob Halford leading the charge.

I don't wish to slag the new guys because they are just doing what they've been paid to do, and I know contracts must be fulfilled, etc., but this is not hardly Judas Priest. I guess that, if I go, it will be only to see Halford singing those songs one final time.

Man.....all our bands are going, going........(gone)

Except for Alice Cooper, Sparks, Van Halen and Todd Rundgren......and King's X, and Eric Johnson and Steven Wilson, and oh what am I bitching about. :)

I've still got French Organ Music anyway.

See you in the morning after a hopefully major-league sleep in.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment