Monday, April 4, 2016

Detective Columbo on The Rappaport Case

Hi Elizabeth,

Happy Late Night. I saw a Versus Me clip on FB, that somebody in the band posted, and it showed you guys in the van on the road presumably to a show, so I am glad things are continuing to happen. I'll bet you are having a blast, of late.  :) Your shot of the guitarist in blue silhouette was excellent!

The singing was good in church this morn, and then this afternoon I went to the concert at the VPAC, which was free. The Colburn School Orchestra was really good - pro level - and it was amazing to see such a huge choir. I was wrong about it being made up entirely of members of the Northridge Singers. They were part of it, but they were joined by The Gay Men's Choir of Los Angeles and Vox Femina and other soloists. I was wondering, when I first posted, how CSUN could have a 100 member choir, lol. But the Northridge Singers were the only ones listed on the sign out front.

Anyway, it was great to see such a huge choir, and the sound inside the VPAC is really awesome.

Well, now here I go again. I am gonna continue with my tale from last night, but I am gonna put my detective hat on, and look at some of the unusual aspects that have puzzled me all these years. Here goes.....

The first thing you have is Mr. Rappaport coming to my door. How did he know I'd be alone in the house? Perhaps he just took a chance, and was prepared to stick to his "cover story" (his ruse), if anybody besides me had been at home.

Or maybe he was aware I was the only one there. 

Those are the only two possibilities, and if he knew I was home alone, how did he know that?

Question #2 : This one has always struck me as extremely strange. Here you have Mr. Rappaport. He is a college professor at a fairly big school. He has a wife, and a baby that had either been just born or was soon to come (discovered through research). In other words, he had a family.

So, on the surface, it would seem he had a lot to lose. He was not a desperate street criminal, but a college professor with a nice house in a nice town, and he had a small family.

So, the question must be asked : why would a man with an outwardly normal life risk all of that to kidnap me?

Was he simply unable to control himself? It should be noted that he was enraged, and that became apparent shortly after he got me into his house. He was "off the hook", shall we say. And his behavior during the time I was in his house made clear to me that he was a full-on violent psychopath, along with other conditions he exhibited. He was thus not a "normal" man at all, but merely hiding behind a "face of normality" that many sociopaths show to the world in order to fit in.

But still, why would he risk his "normal" life, and everything it entailed, to kidnap and take out his anger on me?

The crime of kidnapping is an endgame scenario. Kidnappers seek a ransom for letting the person go. As far as I was aware, Jared Rappaport never had this in mind. Money was not his motive. He was very, very angry at me (though I did not know him), and so it's probably more accurate to say that he abducted me.

But abduction is an endgame scenario as well.

Either the abductor is gonna kill the abductee, and then perhaps hide the body, or in cases like the monster in Cleveland, the abductor keeps the abductee hidden away for years on end. But that is an end game scenario, too. Those girls finally got away, and the monster ultimately killed himself in prison. The only other possibility in an abduction is for the abductor to voluntarily give up, and let his captive go. This would usually happen when law enforcement is on the scene and has the abductor in a corner. At that point, another endgame scenario would take place.

The abductor would be arrested and would go to prison, most likely for a very long time.

So, in the case of Jared Rappaport, when he came to the front door of my house at 9032 Rathburn Avenue and pointed a gun at me, thereby abducting me, he was entering into an endgame scenario.

The question tonight is : Why?

Why would he risk his whole "normal" existence (family, job, house, etc), and most of all, why would he risk his freedom ? He could presumably have been put away for...what?.....ten years? Twenty? Maybe more? It certainly would (or should) have been a very long time.

He was not a stupid man, and would have known what he was risking. But he was also crazy, and sometimes crazy people lose control of their emotions. That was certainly the case with Mr. Rappaport.

But did he know something else? Something, perhaps, about a bigger situation? Did he know that something extremely unusual was unfolding, in a larger situation that he himself was involved in? And if he did know that, and had information about that situation, could he have been aware that it was above the jurisdiction of the Los Angeles Police Department?

If he was aware of a so-called "larger situation", in which the police were ovverruled (so to speak), would that factor have given him the courage, or the chutzpah, to act out his rage against me?

What if he thought he wouldn't be arrested?

What if he knew he wouldn't be arrested, at least by the police anyway.

What if Jared Rappaport - a psychopath living behind a mask of normality - felt comfortable enough to act out in his real persona, against me, because he felt certain he wouldn't be punished for his actions?

I think it's a combination of these things: his foreknowledge of the situation, his absolute fury at me (for reasons I was entirely unaware and certainly not responsible for), and his inability to maintain his Mask Of Normality under the circumstances.

It wasn't that he was "willing to risk everything" to abduct me, in other words.

It was that he'd completely lost it - lost his Mask - and that his real, psychotic self had the confidence of foreknowledge, something he was privvy to, that a Bigger Situation was taking place, one in which he wouldn't have to worry about the LAPD arresting him.

And so he came to my door, in his controlled psychotic state, thinking he could get away with it.

I will have more questions for Detective Columbo in another blog........

No comments:

Post a Comment