Friday, April 8, 2016

Tree Of Life

Hi, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice day, with success and fun on whatever shoot you are currently working on. The only post I saw pertained to Trapt, and I think they were in Detroit. Maybe you are touring with them? Just a guess of course. :) Post if you get a chance, and if you want to.

Tonight we were back to Thursday Movie Night at CSUN. We had finished up all seven of Tarkovsky's films, so now we are watching films that the Professor chose as being influenced by The Tarkmeister, and we started off with "The Tree Of Life" by Terrence Malick. I am a big fan of his first two films: "Badlands" and "Days Of Heaven", the latter of which is one of the great cinematography jobs of all time. I saw "Tree" when it came out about five years ago, but I saw it on dvd, on a TV screen, and I wasn't ready for it's constantly circulating camerawork and meandering story. I probably watched it at a bad time or wasn't in the mood because I didn't like it that much.

This time, I thought it was tremendous. Sometimes, if a movie has promise - even something in general that you can find to like about it - then it can help to go back and watch it a second time. Being a fan of Malick, I have always liked the spiritual nature of his films, and that was what I did like the first time I watched "Tree Of Life". The film's abstract nature was off-putting on first view, but I liked the message.

So I was more prepared to watch it on this second viewing, because I knew what was coming. Also, I was seeing it on a movie screen, which makes a difference.

This time it blew me away. What a beautiful film, with such a spiritual message.

Well, that's all for tonight. Hope you are still with me.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment