Friday, April 22, 2016

Uncle Boonmee + Prince + Studying Stuff Just To Challenge My Brain

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Tonight at CSUN we saw a very interesting, poetic film called "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives". How's that for a title? I had not heard of it before the Professor announced the season schedule back in January, but apparently it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes in 2010. Tonight, I can see why. It is a film in which nothing much happens, and yet much is put forth. I don't wanna say "much is said", because that's not really the case either. There are no big philsophical pronouncements. But through the minor story line (Uncle Boonmee is sick and dying and is visited by his sister and a caregiver, and also a few ghosts), and through some fantasy sequences, and absolutely terrific cinematography, mostly in dim light - a lot of feeling is put forth. The director is Thai (Google his name if you wish, it's too long to remember here), but he finished his art degree in Chicago, so he has a high level Western filmmaking ability, but the sensibility of the film is all Thai.

It's one of those films that you don't ask, "what's it about", you just see it, and I recommend it with a big thumbs up, although it is a slow film with long takes (like Tarkovsky). I loved "Uncle Boonmee"!  :)

Well, I was sorry to hear about Prince. I was aware he got sick on a plane last week, and because we have lost so many, I was thinking, "here we go again" even then, because they said the plane had to make an emergency landing. I had always thought Prince was a teetotaler, no drugs no alcohol, but now they are saying that the airplane episode was a drug overdose. At any rate, though I was not really a fan of his music (and I guess I'm in the minority there), there is no doubt he was a talented guy, and more importantly, he seemed like a good guy. You never heard any trashy stuff about Prince, famous as he was. So, very sad to lose another musician who meant so much to so many people.

I hope your day was good. I didn't see any FB posts today, so I guess you are busy.

I am just working, reading my books, and Googling things I don't understand, like Differentials and Derivatives. I don't understand much of anything in the Penrose book, but I am just hoping to absorb the gist of it simply by reading the words. Anything to stretch my brain, lol.

But sometimes, when I read about complex numbers and Reimann surfaces and stuff like that, I wanna say, "are you guys nuts"!? Because who would think about such weird minutia all day long, and make a career out of it"?

But some guys brains just work that way. Me, I did good all the up to beginning Algebra, which I got an A in, in 7th grade. Now I wanna try to learn at least a little more, and go where the weird guys go. So I am reading stuff I can sort of understand, but not really, haha.

It's all in the language, and in the explanation of that language to the lay person.

I am good at explaining things, and I think that if I ever could learn Calculus, that I could write a book and explain it to guys like me, in plain English, so that they would understand the abstract language of the equations. I think that the mathematicians themselves, even a super genius like Dr. Penrose, just don't have the ability to explain it to the layman. So I will do it, after I attempt to finish reading his book.  :)

I am even more enjoying my Dr. Joe books, because those I can understand, haha, and I am finding the study of the early Church to be fascinating. Sorry if I hammered away at it in last night's blog. I am not a person to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, and anyhow, my beliefs evolve as I learn more. My belief in Christ is unchanging, but I like to know everything I can about the history of the events, and how they were framed by the opinions of various leaders from those times. I know I jump around when I write about it, and I go from idea to idea without always finishing my thought, but that is because I get excited thinking about it.

I don't get excited in the way of a "religious follower", which is not to put down Christian people who basically follow the tenets of their church, because I do that too. But I am also a history fanatic, and that is the way in which these topics excite me, when I have the chance to learn more - especially from a trusted expert like Joseph Farrell - and thus discover more about the history of the Church, how it was formed and why it split, as I said yesterday.

I am not so much interested in Liturgy and all the technical terms of Christian doctrine. That is a language that, like high mathematics, that is foreign to me. I can learn it, but I wasn't brought up in those disciplines, and so it is a challenge now.

But what I am really interested in, as a person who believes in Christ, is the real time events.

I am interested in What Actually Happened during that time.

What was real, and what was changed by future leaders to fit a philosophy? That's the kind of stuff I want to know, and it's why I study what I study, among other subjects.

I know it's probably boring. If so, sorry. I am always looking for stuff to write about, and nowdays it seems to be about my current reading material.

Anyhow, see you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment