Saturday, April 30, 2016

Concerts : The Sold Out and The Humongous, and "Quatermass 2"

I have no idea if you are still with me, but if you are, then Hi, Elizabeth. :) Today I slept in very late, due to multiple job-related awakenings in the night, and so I missed out on getting Lush tickets again. I think I mentioned that I've been a fan since the 90s, but they broke up before I ever got to see 'em. Now they are back, like Slowdive and other shoegaze bands, and I think they weren't aware of their popularity because they first scheduled an April 25th show at the 400 capacity Roxy Theater (actually a club), and that show sold out in about two minutes. I tried but failed to get a ticket for that show. Then a few days ago they announced a show in September for the Fonda Theater, which is bigger, holds maybe a thousand. But I overslept and that one is sold out, too.

The good news is that they are gonna have a second show at The Fonda. I will be sure to be awake when it goes on sale, and hopefully this time I will get a ticket.

There is rumored to be a mega-concert in the works for October, on the same grounds where they do Coachella, out in the desert. It's gonna three nights, a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and it's gonna feature just six acts, two per night. The acts are gonna be The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan the first night, Paul McCartney and Neil Young the second night, and The Who and Roger Waters the last night. It is all but official that it is gonna happen. I am jokingly calling it The Seventy Year Old Man Concert, because all the performers are at or over that age, but I also think it might just be the biggest concert of all time, even bigger than Woodstock in terms of audience. I doubt I will be there, and I imagine it will be a thousand bucks minimum for all three days, but it's kind of cool to feature so many legends in one event, at this stage of the game when we are losing people. Woodstock featured everyone at the end of the 60s, when they were all young, and now this festival will have some of the longest lasting acts from that era - who are still at the top of their games - at the twilight of their careers.

I predict at least a half million people, if the grounds will hold that many. Me, if I could pick one night to go, would of course be Paul McCartney, whom I've never seen.

I mean, I doubt I would go, just because I don't do humongous festivals anymore.....but you never know.

My favorite shows nowdays are the ones where you go, and it's easy to get there (no traffic or parking hassles), and there is just the headliner (no opening acts, or no more than one), and where the band you came to see is done playing by 11pm. That's my idea of a great concert evening nowdays, haha. And thank goodness a lot of bands do it that way.  :)

Today I went to Aliso for a nice 60 minute hike, 3 miles total. And this evening I watched a classic sci-fi, "Quatermass 2" from 1957. I'd been waiting for this one for many years, because "Quatermass And The Pit" (a third sequel) is one of my favorite movies ever. "Q2" has been hard to find on dvd and was a collector's item until recently, when it was finally re-released, so I got a copy for ten bucks, and it didn't disappoint. Sci-fi from the 50s is one of my favorite genres, and the few British entries I have seen in that mostly American dominated category are all superior efforts, especially the Quatermass Trilogy.

So that was my day, and reading my books, all my usual stuff. Hope you had a good day too.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment