Sunday, February 19, 2017

At Home + "The Girl On The Train"

Happy Late Saturday Night, my Darling,

I am writing from home, off work until Monday morn as noted yesterday. I didn't do much today, as is my habit on a day off : I am so busy doing stuff all the time during a work cycle that on a day off I just like to take it easy. Also, I like to stay out of my car (and thus the traffic) for at least one day. I did walk down to the Libe at 4:30, and saw the most amazing rainbow, stretching far across the sky. It was beautiful, and though I didn't have my camera with me, just to see it was enough. I didn't find any movies at the library, but I did have a free credit at Redbox, so I walked to the Box across the street and rented "The Girl On The Train" which I watched this eve.

Hmmmmm, what to say about this film? I guess the first thing I would say is that, like all modern thrillers, it is technically proficient. Camerawork and editing keep a 110 minute story very tight, and the director keeps you pulled into the plot for about the first 90 minutes. It's really Emily Blunt's movie, she's a really good actress who has a range wider than some of her action roles would suggest. In this film, she is the alcoholic ex-wife of a man who lives now with another woman and their child. She is in a very bad way, psychologically, and has trouble with her memory. That part struck home with me in a big way, because I know what that's like, though in my case the cause was not alcohol.

The story is a bit convoluted, but to be brief it involves her obsession with her ex and his new woman, and another woman she sees at a nearby house, while riding the train every day. She rides the train just for something to do, and she becomes obsessed with all of this. It's a very psychological film, and on that level it is very effective. There are all kinds of dark motives pertaining to abused women, and male control in relationships. As a psychological thriller it is excellent, and it certainly keeps you guessing, up until the 90 minute mark or thereabouts.

At that point it turns into more of a standard violent crime film, albeit very slickly produced. I just think that, had the director really wanted or had the artistic control to make a great film, he could have explored the psychological aspect right down to the wire, and brought the suspense out for maximum effect. Also, some of the violence could have been toned down and implied rather than shown.

All told, however, a very good "modern thriller" (meaning slick), with an excellent performance by Blunt and a good supporting cast of varied characters. Everyone is on edge except the police detective, played by the always reliable Allison Janney. The themes of abuse and memory loss, and of the various emotional pathologies inherent in 21st century relationships, contribute to tell a powerful tale, though at times it is pretty rough going.

That was all the news for today. My friend David F. came over for a CSUN walk, but that was the only other activity, besides reading about the ever-sinister LBJ, of course.  :)

I hope your day was good. I saw one post, which related to "the most important woman" in the poster's life, so I figured that was a shout out to your Mom, well deserved as always. You guys rule.  :)

I bet it's still warmer in Wisconsin than here. I have my heater running full blast as I write.

Tomorrow morning is church and singing. We will be doing a song with a fairly involved vocal - lots of words and syllables, gotta remember to take breaths at all the right places. It is called "I Will Sing", which I will indeed do.

I'll be back home about 1:30 or so. See you then!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment