Saturday, February 18, 2017

That Was One Hell Of A Storm! (kinda scary) + High Noon & Saving Rock Clubs

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Well, Good Lordy Moses, SB. Holy Smokes!, and...............wow. Sometimes that's all you can say, right? This time I'm saying it with regards to the storm, which was every bit as brutal, and fearsome, as advertised. I can only remember it raining that hard, for that long - about five hours straight during the worst part - maybe two or three times in my life. I remember once in the mid-70s, it was absolutely pouring, and me and my friend Mike B. (who is also an FB friend) got in his car and drove to a local bridge over the L.A. River, and we did so in order to take photos. We were both in photo class then, at Cleveland High School, and somewhere in my closet I have a great b&w 8x10 print of Mike, wearing a full length rain slicker with hood, standing on the bridge looking down at the river, which was almost full to the top. That was the highest I've ever seen it until today, when it was at the top. Our "river" really isn't a river at all, it's a mostly empty concrete channel. As I posted - it used to be a river, until 1938 when there was a humongous flood because of a similar storm, and so the US Army Corps Of Engineers drained the whole thing into the ocean!

How the heck do you drain a river? I don't know, but they did it. It took 'em about ten years or so, but when the river was drained they dug it out square and lined the whole 60 miles with thick concrete, all the way from Canoga Park, where it starts, down to Long Beach, where it used to go into the Pacific Ocean. Normally, the only thing that drains nowdays is just a trickle, because for years we haven't gotten much rain. Now, as I have posted before, the L.A. River is hardly the Mississippi, but it's still a river channel, at it's widest maybe 250 feet, and 15 feet deep. The channel on that news clip is probably only 50-75 feet wide, but still deep..........and the whole thing filled up in just a few hours.

That's how hard it was raining today.

It was unnerving, to be honest, and even a tad scary. A storm like that creates a bad vibe because you don't know what's gonna happen next, and this storm was accompanied by strong winds up to 35mph.....

So it really sucked, in other words, lol. I can only imagine how bad it was for the folks up in the mountains, where the fires hit last year, and on the news they showed a river of mud coming down one hillside in a community about 50 miles from here. So we here in the Valley didn't get the worst of it, but it was bad enough. If it wasn't a record breaker for most inches of rain in a single day in Los Angeles, then it was close.

That was really all the news for the day, obviously no hike, and I was too preoccupied with the storm to be able to relax and watch a movie or do much reading. It was one of those days when you are Glued To The News.....

I hope your day was good, and I have to note that today, the temperature was higher in Madison than it was here! When was the last time that happened? :)

I saw posts for High Noon Saloon and a radio station, both businesses are connections of yours, and I am glad that The Saloon will continue be a premier rock club in your city despite the change of ownership. It is always a worry when that happens, and here in L.A. we have already been dealing with the closure of the House Of Blues on Sunset in Hollywood. They say they are gonna reopen at a different location, but it was already perfect where it was. And, as the evil billionaire developers continue to try and turn the Sunset Strip into a straight line of high rise hotels and expensive restaurants, we have heard rumors that in years soon to come we may be in danger of losing legendary clubs like The Whiskey and The Roxy. I can't imagine that ever happening, but in this day and age.........

Well, let's just say I can't imagine it ever happening, evil developers or no evil developers.

That's the Power Of Rock & Roll, SB. Even of Hair Metal on the Sunset Strip! To stop developers in their tracks.......  :)

That's all for tonight. I am "so over" this rain, this crummy weather, and this Winter, and I hope it hits 113 by June! (I'd say May, but I need a little warm-up....).

See you in the morning. I will be off tomorrow by 2pm, until Monday morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment