Saturday, February 4, 2017

Happy Friday + Misty Muddy Hike at O'Melveney + "Too Late Blues"

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice day today and also yesterday. I finally went on a hike, a drizzly, muddy slog up at O'Melveney, and while the conditions weren't great for the actual hiking part (I had to watch my step to avoid sinking my boots in the mud), they were excellent for picture taking and I got several good shots. I have probably mentioned before that O'Melveney Park is situated directly in the gap between the Santa Susana and San Gabriel mountains, and while the Santa Susanas are wide and soft, with rounded tops, the San Gabriels are sharp and jagged with pointed tops. When you get back about a mile into the very large park, you are right next to the western San Gabriel peaks, and today they were shrouded in mist, which looked really cool and the tones of the newly green slopes were set off by the diffused light from the overcast sky. It was fun to get up there, and I hope to get out to Whitney Canyon and Rice Canyon soon, as well. Placerita Canyon, which is one of my very favorites as you know, is still closed due to damage from that horrible fire last July. I haven't been there in almost a year; I hope the rains haven't damaged it further.

Well anyway it was great to get out. :)

Last night at CSUN we saw John Cassavettes' "Too Late Blues" (1962) starring the famous pop singer Bobby Darin as a jazz pianist who is frustrated with the machinations of show biz. His band mates are all focused on "making it big", while he sees the reality behind that desire, which in his mind equals selling out. Besides that, he is pursuing a female singer (Stella Stevens) who is being handled by his own manager, who out of jealousy begins to undermine him.

It's Cassavettes, so it's very, very wordy and very emotional. Chaotic. Cassavettes is all about characters expressing themselves - laughing, loving, fighting, soul searching - and nothing is held back, so his films have an explosive feel. It takes some getting used to because there isn't much rest, or calm, but as I said last week, the payoff comes in the professionalism, and John Cassavettes was a total pro as a director, actor and founder of an acting school in which he created his freewheeling style. "Too Late Blues" is shot in beautiful black and white in (I believe) Los Angeles, though not many outdoor locations are shown. It's set in L.A. at any rate, though it's possible they could've filmed in N.Y.

That was really all the news for the past two days. I saw your post this morning of Ola Gjeilo. I thought once that you used him to signify that you were recording your own music, and if so then that is of course awesome, and if it was just an ordinary FB "like" then that is awesome too, because his music is very beautiful.

That's all I know for tonight. See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment