Monday, February 27, 2017

Oscars + Music + The Days Of Golden Glenn

Happy Late Sunday Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice day and a good weekend overall. We had good singing in church this morn, with an 8 song rehearsal afterward. Lots of music coming up for Easter. No hikes today, just a little shopping and then this evening we watched The Academy Awards at Pearl's. Wow - I've been watching the Oscars my whole life and that was the biggest foul-up I've ever seen. At first, just like everyone else I thought it was a joke. I felt bad for the "La La Land" crew, but also for the "Moonlighting" folks, because the screwup took all the attention away from the winner. I must say, however, and this will sound strange coming from a movie fanatic like me, but I had never even heard of "Moonlighting" until tonight. Last year, there was a big outcry about the Academy being racist, and so tonight may have been their way of straightening things out. Not very PC to say, but it's the truth. There are a lot of politics involved in the Oscars, I'll just leave it at that. For myself, I would have voted for "Hacksaw Ridge" in every category for which it was nominated.

Of course I was sorry to hear about Bill Paxton, one of the most well-liked actors of the past twenty years or so. He wasn't a leading man, but he was always turning up in some of the biggest films, including "Terminator", "Twister", "Apollo 13" (one of his best roles) and others. He also made a terrific psycho-religious horror film, which he directed and starred in, called "Frailty" which came out in about 2002 or so. My Mom and I saw it in the theater, and it was so good I've seen it a couple more times on dvd. One of the good guys of show biz was Bill Paxton.......

I saw a few posts, mostly music related : one from Sarah musing on an "all-in-one" music studio/living space. We tried that at my house in 1980, lol, and that was why my band was called "Disturbing The Peace". We certainly disturbed the neighbors, haha - and they called the cops many times, hence the band name - but then we found a studio not too far away, in a converted real estate office building. All of the rooms had been muffled; there was a different band in each one, and for a while it was like a little "music apartment house", and you could even sort of live there. It was really cool, the Golden Glenn Music Studio, home of our band from January 1st, 1981 until February 1, 1982.

That memory, and Sarah's wish for musical convenience reminds me of another quote I will never forget. In 1982 I wanted to build a guitar from parts like my hero Edward Van Halen. I didn't know much about it, but still managed to acquire all the body parts and wiring for a guitar in the shape of a Gibson Explorer. Then I had it all put together and painted by a Reseda guitar maker who became very famous later on, a guy named Jim Tyler. When I went to pick up my guitar - which I still have! - it was well put together and beautifully painted, but there was one thing I wasn't expecting. It weighed a ton.

"It's really heavy", I said to Jim Tyler.

And I have never forgotten his response : "You've gotta bleed for rock n' roll".

He was right. You've gotta bleed, you've gotta disturb the neighbors, you've gotta get the cops called, you've gotta drive across town, and you've gotta ultimately do the "no matter what" thing.

Just keep playing. Just keep shooting. You shape your life, it doesn't shape you unless you let it.

Anyhow, still freezing here in The 'Ridge. The hills are green and beautiful, but a heavy price was paid, lol, in extreme coldness and wetness.

"Here Comes The Sun" is my new mantra.

That's all I know for tonight. See you in the morning.

 I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment