Friday, February 19, 2016

Solaris, KX, Bands That Suck, etc.

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Before I left for the movie tonight, I saw your post about the King's X concert at High Noon Saloon in June (hey, I'm a rhymin' machine...). That is super cool! Extra super cool is that your guys from 7 Seasons Deep are gonna open. That is just great, and it makes me happy. I don't know if you've ever heard any KX music, and if you have heard them, I don't know if they're you're style. They have a unique sound, especially with their vocal harmonies, but one thing is for sure : they are Heavy with a capital H. King's X really started the whole drop-D downtuning thing in the late 80s which so many bands later copied. Live, they are brutal, though in a hard rock way rather than heavy metal. Of course, I am biased because they are one of my favorite bands of all time, but I am stoked they are playing in Madison, and double stoked that 7SD will open, and because of that I will assume you may be going and taking pictures. Great news, I say, and I will be seeing KX myself at The Whiskey just twelve days from now.  :)

I saw your Sweet Baby post this morning, too, and I was glad to see you back. Also, I remember your pictures with Kathryn Pearcy from 2013. The one you posted this morn is very beautiful, and I think is perhaps a slight variation on another one you posted at the time, in which you had your eyes closed. I also remember your modelling shots from 2012 (was it 2012? I think so..) also (I think) for Kathryn Pearcy, in which you were in a field, and wore a hat in many of the shots, and you also had an old box-style camera in hand in one or two of them. That was a great series. :) You will no doubt get offers to model again now that you have put your request out there.

I had a good time at the movie this evening. We saw "Solaris" by Tarkovsky, which is a heavy, philosophical Sci-Fi film about a planet - Solaris - that can read the minds of those who come near it, in this case some Soviet scientists orbiting on a space station. It's long, almost 3 hours, and it's slow cause it's Tarkovsky, and it has amazing cinematography, and it has only a few actors but some great sets and "space" effects.

What he does is to space you out. That's Tarkovsky's whole deal. He requires patience from the viewer, and many will not have the required patience. But for those who are willing, he takes you on a trip and slows your mind down, and shows you his vision of things. I had only ever seen "Solaris" on a tv screen, so it was epic tonight to see it at the Armer at CSUN.

The one other post I saw was the destroying of Coldplay's table at the NME awards, by someone or other. I am not familiar with most of the newer press-worthy artists, but I approve of the Coldplay destruction. In my day, ironically, I would have wanted someone to jump on the table of, say, The Clash or Elvis Costello, who were supposed to be rebels in their own right.

But I just thought they sucked.

Back in those days, when I was 18 to 21 or even a few years older, if you sucked you really bothered me, lol. I only reserved this ire for a few, because I wanted to focus on bands I liked rather than disliked, but boy oh boy.......Foreigner? Hated 'em. Billy Squier? Ditto.

Those were FM radio acts, and there were many others I detested, but that feeling was mild compared to what I felt for the whole punk and New Wave thing. And also a whole lot of heavy metal bands that I thought sucked! Boy did we ever hate all the Sunset Strip bands that clogged the clubs in the late 70s through the hair metal era of the late 80s.

Van Halen : most hated band of 1976. 

And then, when the first album came out in early '78?

Good Lordy Moses.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that Good Will Out, no matter how much you hate it at first.

And stuff that sucks will always suck. Like The Clash or Phil Collins. I could go on but I won't....   :)

Now that I'm older, I love all the old bands, even the ones that sucked. That's what happens when you mellow out, haha.

Of course, I still can't stand their music, but everything else is good.  :)

I hope your day was good too, my Darling. I will see you in the morn.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment