Sunday, September 25, 2016

Lush Concert at The Fonda + Excellent Photo + Love

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I am just getting home from the Lush concert at the Fonda Theater in Hollywood. It is rare for me nowdays to see a band for the first time, but that was the case tonight. I was a minor fan of Lush in in the early 90s during the Shoegaze craze, but they broke up in 1998 after their drummer died. Then about five years ago I revisited their music and became a huge fan, yet too late to have had a chance to see them, or so I thought. To the fans' delight, they reunited last year and started touring, and tonight I had my first (and hopefully not last) chance to see them.

I imagined they'd be pretty good live, but I didn't know they'd be this good. Big league good, with expert musicianship and loud, clear sound. You've probably heard of them (at least from me mentioning them) and you may or may not have ever heard their music, but anyway it is based around a synchronated double guitar sound that comes out huge in concert. The lead guitarist and main songwriter Emma Anderson could give a lot the male guitarists in any big sonic band a run for his money. Between her and lead singer/rhythm guitarist Miki Berenyi, they create a wall of sound, backed up by dynamic, propulsive bass and drums. The vocals are super-high pitched, like helium, so they float over the music and create that Dreampop sound with added harmonies highlighting and playing off the ever changing chord structures.

So it was one great song after another, 21 in all including encores, with a humongous and crystal clear sound. I took the subway as usual and went by myself as usual. Got down there a little after 8pm because, even though I knew they weren't gonna go on until 10:15, it was a general admission show. There were no reserved seats and I hoped to get a good one by getting there early and I did : dead center, four rows up in the balcony. Unobstructed sight lines, no giants sitting in front of me, haha.

Just a really great show all around, and from a band I'd never seen before.

I hope you had a good day. Your photo of James nearly silhouetted in the colored lights was excellent. The profile angle on his face captured his expression, which gives an added touch to the shot. That and the light on the guitar neck. It's always the little things in every shot, as you know.  :)

I also liked your post (don't remember who from) about the guy in the desert who is wearing a leather jacket. I took that one to be about me, haha, because of my fondness for the heat, which I add to on my hikes by covering up (long sleeve shirt, etc). And one other post from your friend Vaia yesterday could be a Sweet Baby post. I'm not sure but I think so, and of course I love those.

So a good day all in all, and tomorrow morning is church. I've gotta be there in a little over seven hours so I'd better get to sleep.

I will see you in the morning and again after choir practice.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment