Monday, March 21, 2016

Happy Sunday NIght + The Kobester has two phDs + Guitar Solos

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

All is quiet here at Pearl's, with KUSC on the radio. Kobedog has taken to hanging out with me for the last several nights, because once, about a week ago, I gave him an extra late-night spoonful of dog food. He did not forget it, haha, and now hangs out with me past midnight, hoping for a repeat. He's a canine genius, now completing his phD in Dog Food to go along with his other phD in Goodboyism.

Pearl was surprised to learn that he has actually taught classes in How To Be A Good Boy to other dogs, while we were at church on Sundays. I discovered it myself, having walked in on one of his seminars.....

Yeah, I know I'm a complete goof. But it's true, I tell ya. He really does have two phDs. (phDog)..

I hope your day was good. We had a good morning in church, good singing and practicing for Easter Sunday next week. A regular day other than that. You may have been busy today yourself, perhaps prepping for a video? I say that because I saw one post, via your friend Brian, about the revolving camera rig....

I know you have some other shoots coming up - a lot of stuff, right? - and I will be looking forward to the results as always.

I am always looking for something to write about, and so what can I do tonight? Maybe another list?

We will do Top Ten Guitar Solos, just cause they were one of my favorite things when they were played, and especially in their heyday from the mid-70s to the mid-80s.

1) "Burn" by Deep Purple, solo by Ritchie Blackmore. This one was off the charts from the first time I heard it. It still is, and the energy, technique, musicality and especially the personal signature he put into it will never be equaled in my book. The all-time guitar solo on perhaps the greatest hard rock song of all time as well.

2) "Still So Many Lives Away" by Uli Jon Roth in his "Electric Sun" incarnation. Classical fluidity while retaining rock feel, so smooth, fast and beautiful. An army of shredders couldn't touch it. In his short lived band Electric Sun, Uli Jon Roth played many of the greatest guitar solos I've ever heard, ones that I can still hum, note for note, over 30 years later.

3) "High Hopes" by Pink Floyd, played by David Glimour. Why did I not choose "Comfortably Numb"? Because it is too easy a choice, and because it has been played a trillion times. Now, you can't play a song that great "to death", as they say, but what happens is that the solo, which is what we are evaluating tonight, becomes so much a part of your dna, from millions of listens, that it becomes a tad too familiar. Just a tad, mind you - everybody knows it's one of the greatest - some say Thee Greatest - solo ever played. I will not argue, for you already know my choice, but for Sir David I will choose his incredibly moving pedal steel solo on "High Hopes" from my favorite album of all time, "The Division Bell". Guitar is all about feel; even more so when it comes to the solo. On this highly dramatic song, the structure builds and builds until the release comes with Gilmour's solo. And when it comes, so does the emotion, which takes you as far away in flight as you can go. An absolute masterpiece of composition, articulation and execution.

Well, I know I said I'd do my Top Ten, but I didn't realise I'd get so into it! And it is now late, 1:30 in the morn, and the Kobester is still with me, hoping for another spoonful. Maybe I will give it to him so he will stop staring me down.

But I will have to continue my guitar solos another night, when lists are appropriate once again. 

I will see you in the morn, Sweet Baby. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment