Monday, March 7, 2016

Singing and Sound

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope you had a nice day. I went to church by myself this morn. Pearl has a cold. We were shorthanded in choir and only had nine of our fourteen members (which is a small choir to begin with), but we sounded really good as a smaller "singing group", and we got our best applause since I joined, and a nice compliment from the pastor, who deemed our singing "beautiful" on today's anthem. So that was nice.  :)

Now we are learning a song called "O Lord, How Excellent Is Thy Name" by a guy named Benedetto Marcello, and it is some of the most demanding singing I have done yet. But I'm gonna nail it, because I wanna keep getting better.

Today I did see two posts by you. One was a song by Architects, "A Match Made In Heaven", so you know I love that title! It's perfect, and so true. Maybe they are an upcoming client too? But even if not, the song is enough.....  :):)

I also saw that you are going to the Versus Me show at The Red Zone on April 17. I am glad that you are The Official Photographer/Videographer for those guys, and maybe for I Prevail, too. Good things are gonna happen because of those connections.

Right now I am listening to one of my favorite organists, Andre Isoir. At church in the choir, I sit right in front of our organ, and so the pipes are in the wall above me and I get the full effect when our director plays it loud. Pipe organ is very heavy and melodic and so dynamic, with all it's "stops" and replications of other instruments (woodwinds especially), and I think it is just an incredible sound when blasted. Early French organ music is my favorite, and when I am in the mood it just hits the spot.....

It's interesting because I have found that you develop a taste for different types of music as you go along, but as you look back, you can see that the seeds for those new sounds were planted previously. For instance, I became enamored of certain harpsichord composers about 10-15 years ago. In my 20s, I might have liked the sound of the instrument if I happened to hear it in passing, on a record or the radio, but it would not have been something I would have actively sought out to listen to. The same with organ music.

And it's interesting because I don't think it's a "forward" discovery, per se, but rather something from the past that took a long time to gestate in me. I don't know about the organ music, but with the harpsichord, I know know that it was some of the first music I ever heard on a regular, repetitive basis. My Dad played Scarlatti records a lot when I was very small, so I heard that when I was maybe 2 or 3.

My point is that music that had an emotional effect on me when I was small returned many years later to become something I actually sought out, even though in my middle period of music listening, say from 12 to 40, it would never have crossed my mind.

This shows you The Power Of Music, and of Certain Instruments, and of All The Vagaries Of Musical Sound In General, to influence your psyche.

Sound and how it affects you is an interesting thing to consider.

That's all I know for tonight, my Darling.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment