Friday, March 10, 2017

Iceland! + Careful While Driving + "Rosemary's Baby"

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

"Wow" once again, for Iceland and Norway. I saw a post yesterday, for one of your friend's bands, and it said "Europe here we come", and I thought something might be in the works, just because of the specific message. So that will be awesome, and also an incredible adventure! Are you going alone, or with a friend or perhaps with Mom & bro? If alone, just be sure to be careful in all the ways that carefulness is needed. That's my Fuddyduddy Precautionary note for the trip, and of course you already know it, but as your friend mentioned, take care when driving on certain roads.

I know we've got mountain roads right here in SoCal that I would never drive, like Decker Canyon. And, there is one wilderness area that I went to in 2014, Sage Ranch Park, which is in Chatsworth at the top of a mountain in Woolsey Canyon. It is situated directly across from the Santa Susana Field Laboratory where all the rocketry was done, but anyway, I have never gone back because the road was on a cliffside with about a 200 foot drop, and the pavement was literally crumbling away. 'Twas a very scary drive that, once I started into it, I couldn't back out. I had to continue the rest of the way to Sage Ranch, which I did, at about 10 miles per hour, lol. I've never gone back, which is a shame because the park is incredible. But after the recent rains, I wouldn't be surprised if the road washed out completely.

You will have an amazing trip, however! Shoot a ton of video as well as stills (as if you needed me to tell you that, haha)......

Tonight's movie at CSUN was "Rosemary's Baby" (1968), the famous Satanic horror film that preceded "The Exorcist" and more importantly, films like "The Omen", which share it's theme of a Demon Child, produced by and for The Devil. I had never seen this film on the big screen, and now that I have, I will call it truly great. It was shot at the Dakota Apartments in New York, where John Lennon was murdered in 1980, and the vibe of the building is spooky enough. Add to that the invasive and subversive influence of the tenants, and poor Mia Farrow, who is so great in the lead role, hasn't a chance to get through her pregnancy unscathed. John Cassavetes plays her husband, who literally sells her out to the witches' coven operating in the building. Directed by Roman Polanski, with all kinds of paranoid POV camerawork, "Rosemary's Baby" is a supremely creepy movie, and now I would put it among my top horror films.

Last night I finished Part Two of Pasolini's "The Gospel According To St. Matthew", and all I can say is that it is a masterpiece. The greatest film about the life of Christ ever made, due in large part to the 19 year old Spanish college student, a non-actor, who Pasolini chose to play Jesus. He is incredible, and as mentioned before, the choice of using weathered-looking locals for other parts, and the location shooting in southern Italy in what looks like ancient hillside villages, just adds to the authentic look of the film. It looks and feels as if you are right back there, in that time, living the story as it plays out. And, it is shot in black and white, to create the "pure image" reality I so often talk (or tirade, haha) about. A Masterpiece upon Masterpiece, and I hope Criterion will get the rights to it and restore it fully........

Well, that's all for tonight. You got a lot of great pix at the High Noon Saloon show, too. :)

Glad to know all is going well!

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment