Saturday, March 11, 2017

Traveling Partner + Feed The Dog + "Track Of The Cat"

Happy Late Friday Night, Sweet Baby,

I take it that you posted your photo this morning, of your friend, at least partially in response to my question, about a traveling companion? I mean, it was an excellent picture as always, and perhaps you and she just did a photo shoot, but because of the timing, I figured it was also an answer to my question.  :)

If so, I am glad you guys are gonna go together. I know you are pretty adventurous yourself, but it is better to go to a remote place like Iceland with another person, and especially a best friend (or BFF as they say nowdays).  :)

I also saw your post, via Joel, about "working a 20 hour day and getting 3 hours sleep" but being stoked anyway because you love what you do. That's what it's all about! (although do try to squeeze in a 5 hour sleep now and then, haha).

I saw one other post, via "Josef" Stalin (didn't know he was a musician, lol) about an album due out in June, so I thought perhaps you meant your album will be ready then, or maybe just that you are working on your album, hence the 20 hour days. If I am right, then I am getting pretty good at reading the messages in the posts. I used to be expert at it, and then I kind of lost my touch, but maybe I've still got it. It sounds like things are going great, however, and that is always nice to know.

Today I took The Crew to Lake Balboa. Our theme song was "Feed The Birds" from "Mary Poppins". We brought along some bread, and that song kept running through my head as the ducks and coots gathered around. Later in the day it became, "Feeed the dog......tuppence a can", because if you don't Feed The Dog you are gonna be in for a heap of trouble. He's the Shot Caller around here; I just do what he tells me. And, I've probably mentioned it before, but he thinks Dog Food is The Greatest Invention Of All Time. He is always suggesting I try some, though I have yet to take him up on his offer........

Tonight's movie was a weird, psychological Western called "Track Of The Cat (1954) directed by the legendary William Wellman, starring Robert Mitchum, and shot in widescreen Cinemascope in some of the most beautiful outdoor Technicolor I've seen, up in the mountains of Colorado (or Northern California, it wasn't clear which location).

The movie looked fantastic, and Mitchum was good as always. You can see why they named a deodorant after him; he is Ultra Macho. And the supporting cast was good : Beulah Bondi, Teresa Wright, Tab Hunter, Diana Lynn.

But it was One Weird Movie, and I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It was a superstitious, gothic Western about a terribly dysfunctional ranching family, led by middle brother Mitchum. He is on the hunt for a mysterious "Black Panther" who is killing the family cattle, and at the same time he is at war with his two brothers, who he sees as wimps. A snowstorm rages throughout the film, set high in the mountains. Meanwhile, the Mom (Beulah Bondi, famous character actress) rails against youngest son Tab Hunter's girlfriend while quoting the Bible, and the Dad simply downs one glass of Whiskey after another throughout the film. Also, a caricature "Old Injun" lives with the family, and he is supposedly the only one with enough wisdom to know how to track the elusive Panther, and yet he stumbles around half senile and deaf for 90% of the movie.

It started out really good, seemingly a snowed-in dark story about a troubled frontier family with a killer cat on the prowl. But then it devolved into a bickering match between the Mom and most of her family members, with endless shots of Dad pounding Whiskey. There was never once a "Cat" shown, despite the title, and the ending was a complete cop out, with Tab Hunter heading out to find his older brother Mitchum, but he finally kills the unseen "Cat" in the process, and the movie ends right there - with no mention if he found his brother or not, or if he even cared.

I thought......."Hmmmm, I'll give this movie a 6 out of 10, just for the photography and the Weirdness". Then I thought......."no, that ending was ridiculous. I'll give it a 4".

But now, I'm back up to a 6, or maybe even a 6.5 or 7 out of 10, just because it was One Unusual Movie.

I have never seen such a Western, like a Soap Opera with dark, gothic undertones.

A lot of it was terrible, but a lot of it was really good. So, I will give it Two Thumbs Up and Two Thumbs Down at the same time.  :)

That was all the news for today. I went to Aliso for my afternoon walk. It is becoming my "go to" for the afternoon part of the walk, and I love it. The water is even still flowing, though much slower, three weeks after the last rain.

See you in the morning, SB. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment