Friday, March 31, 2017

Stitched Up + Downtown + "Minnie And Moskowitz" At CSUN

Happy Late Thursday Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope you had a good day. Pearl's hairdresser was finally back from Vietnam, so I took her to her appointment for the first time in a month. I saw your posts via Stitched Up Heart, and besides being extremely cool that your friend Randy is celebrating two years of sobriety, I also noticed something in the picture of him atop Mount Lee, which is where the Hollywood sign is located. Mount Lee is part of the Santa Monica mountains, which run along the south end of the Valley. On the other side of the Santa Monicas is Hollywood, and the sign faces Hollywood (obviously, lol). But ten miles from Hollywood is Downtown L.A., and if you look just to the right of Randy's uplifted right hand (left in the photo), you will see something neat : the same line of tall buildings that appeared in my photo from the top of Mission Point in Granada Hills, which is about 20 miles from Hollywood. In other words, from where he is standing, Randy can see the skyscrapers of Downtown. For him, they are unobstructed by any mountains, but I could also see, and photograph, the same line of buildings from a mountain 20 miles north, and looking over the top of the Santa Monica mountains. Pretty neat, I think. I think I mentioned that I used the digital zoom feature on my cam for the very first time to get that shot, but it's a trip to see those buildings in Randy's shot as well.  :)

I saw the other pic too, of Stitched Up in Vegas, so I am thinking you are gonna be shooting them at some point soon. They are doing well, touring regularly, nice to see.  :)

Tonight at CSUN we saw "Minnie And Moskowitz" by Cassavetes. It is the story of a fairly sophisticated woman (played by Gena Rowlands), who works at the L.A. County Museum Of Art, who after a series of horrible dates, meets by happenstance a longhaired, decidedly unsophisticated and boisterous parking lot attendant played by David Lee Roth lookalike Seymour Cassel. He rescues her from the aggression of a man on one such date, and the rest is history, or at least it is the rest of the movie, as they get to know each other. Being a Cassavetes movie, this means that they get to know each other through a series of continuing confrontations. In this case, unlike the previous Cassavetes movie we saw - the excrutiating "Husbands" - the hijinks are actually pretty funny, and the movie has something resembling a storyline. I liked it, as a fiesty romantic comedy, but Grimsley almost walked out. He is not doing well during the current Cassavetes retrospective, and I advised him that he may not make it through next weeks' film, the Gena Rowlands tour-de-force "A Woman Under The Influence", which is almost three hours of Gena going insane.

I am liking the retrospective myself, and while it is not Bresson, or the poetic cinema of my favorite artistic filmmakers, at least it is original. Cassavetes is nothing if not that, and with "Minnie And Moskowitz" we at least got a scenic tour of classic 1970s Hollywood, with a stop at the legendary CC Browns' Ice Cream Parlor (long defunct), where my Dad took me and Chris when we were kids. Also seen is the famous Palomino Club, where so many famous acts played and which closed up about 20 years ago.....

Looking at the scenes in Hollywood, it occurred to me that Hollywood Boulevard was much more "lit up" in those days, with neon and sparkling signs everywhere, from theaters to bookshops and liquor stores. It looks a bit more sedate nowdays.............but only just a bit.

Well, that's all for tonight. I trust all is going well. :)

I will see you in the morning, SB. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment