Thursday, March 23, 2017

Screening + My Own "Emo" Debut + New York? + Sky

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

So how did your screening go? I hope it was a success on all counts and I hope you had a great time. You're now a "double threat" on both sides of the camera, but then I guess you already were, when I think about it, because while you did not act, per se, you did perform in all your music videos. But now you are acting, too!

I may have mentioned this before, but I was in a student film when I was 8 years old, in 1968. Our neighbor at the time had a son who was attending UCLA film school, and for his final project he was making a short film about a man who was undergoing shock treatment. That procedure was a prominent medical topic at the time, and though it was effective in treating depression and other mental illnesses, it was also increasingly being seen as cruel or even torturous. Anyhow, the student's father played the role of the depressed family man who was getting shock treatment, and I was supposed to be his young son. You mentioned that your role in the film that was screened today was "emo". Well, so was my role. In fact, my role as the "son" was so "emo" that I was embarrassed, haha. I only had one scene : I was out in the front yard (of the neighbor's home), and I was supposed to be playing with a ball. Then my "Dad", who was "on his way to the psychiatric hospital" (and his shock treatment) was supposed to exit the house and come down the walkway, suitcase in hand, and I was supposed to run up and hug him, so sad at the prospect that he was leaving.

My sister, who was also a UCLA student at the time, got me the "gig", and I have never forgotten it because it made me so uncomfortable to do such an emotional scene, and with people I didn't really know. A couple of my friends were out on the sidewalk as we filmed it, and they made fun of me mercilessly, lol.

But, I also always have remembered my payday for that acting debut - I got a big dish of vanilla ice cream with Hershey's chocolate syrup, all I could eat! That made up for the embarrassment, and I went on to "star" in a few grade school plays that some friends and I actually wrote! Those were easier to do.....

And I never got to see the UCLA student film. I wonder if it exists anywhere? That "kid" was ten years older than me, at least, so he'd be pushing 70 now!

Well, so that's my "emo" acting story. I've got some Super 8 films made with friends from my teenage years as well. Gotta get those digitised one of these days......  :)

I saw a post today that mentioned something about New York - a girl who lives there who wants friends to visit. So I thought that meant maybe you are gonna go to NYC? I know you've been thinking about it for a while. I know you've already got Iceland coming up, but maybe a quick trip to NYC beforehand...  :)

That's all I know for today. No movie tonight, just reading my books and working on a drawing. I am loving those drawings Fursy has been posting on FB.......man, the undercurrent in his work is incredible, the things he just hints at, in the shadows......

A quick hike at Aliso, and then some photos of a multi-colored sky when I got home.

See you in the morning, SB. Post about your screening if you can.  :)

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment