Friday, March 3, 2017

"Wow" (but also speechless) + "Faces" by Cassavetes + Allergies Again

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Well.........you probably know what I'm gonna say. "Wow"! And you also know that that's sometimes all you can say, but actually, this time I was just gonna be speechless until I thought that I'd better say something. So "Wow"! it is. :)

Seriously Elizabeth, that is quite a stunning picture of you, and not only that but it's also stylish and elegant as well. Everything works in that portrait : your hair and makeup, the patterns on your dress, the tilt of your head and placement of your hand, and the framing by the piano lid support bar on the side, and the section of keys at the bottom. Perfect! We've been talking about Oscars, and you look like a Movie Star. That is One Great Photo, and I am assuming it is a Self Portrait.....

I love the title for your album as well. "Notepainting" infers the color in the music, and to me the piano is the most colorful of instruments. I believe it has something to do with the notes being all in a row, and also in the way they are hammered and muted at the same time by the mechanisms of the instrument. I have always thought of it as a "river of tones" (because it runs "in a row"), and it could also be thought of as a palette in the same way.  :)

Judging from the FB response, you will have a lot of customers, and of course I will be one too, and I will even call myself the Honorary First Customer (not counting your Mom and family of course), but I am assuming you will have physical CDs, and if you do then I can listen at home on my new Sony mini-stereo.  :)

Looking forward to it, and I know you are too, and you've been planning this and working hard on it for a long time, so huge congratulations!  :)

Tonight's movie at CSUN was John Cassavetes' "Faces". It could be called "In Your Face", lol, because it is a deliberately abrasive film, shot often in close up, of people grinning, laughing, yukking it up, and just generally rambling on and on. The story, such as it is, is about the breakup of a marriage of a rich businessman and his wife. He takes up with a prostitute and she has a fling with a young man she meets at the Whiskey A Go-Go of all places (actually filmed there).

Grimsley left me a voicemail that I got when I left the theater. He had walked out, 45 minutes into the film. I understand his reaction, because I saw "Faces" on dvd about 7 or 8 years ago, and while I didn't "walk out" (i.e. turn it off), I did stop paying attention after about a half hour or so, because of the non-stop talking and laughing in close up. Seeing it tonight on the big screen, however, left me with a different impression : I thought it was a pretty tremendous film, when it hit me how coherent it actually is, if you have the patience to sit and watch it for what it is. If you do that, and if you do not allow the purposely confrontational style to disorient you and therefore to disillusion you, you will get quite a payoff and you will see that Cassavetes was not quite as goofy as you thought he was. Taken as a Whole, if sat through with patience, the movie is a minor masterpiece. But if you watch, as I did the first time, and go - after 20 minutes - "what the hell is this", then you will think it is terrible.

I am glad I saw it on a movie screen, and saw it all the way through. There is no movie like it.

On a final note, I have something unusual happen to me today, unusual in the literal sense. This afternoon, I took Pearl and The Koberman Pinscher to Lake Balboa. 'Twas a beautiful day, all of a sudden 80 degrees. But when I got home at 2:30 pm, I began to develop a sinus allergy that got worse over the course of the evening, and is only just tapering off now as I write.

It was weird because of my history with sinus allergies. I have probably mentioned this before, but from the time I was in grade school until I was 35, allergies were the bane of my existence. I would get them on a regular basis, two to three times a month, and they were awful. And the medicine you had to take made you feel groggy and wiped-out (until Sudafed came along)....

But then about 1995, I just stopped getting my allergies. They just plain stopped, and it took me a year or two to notice. "Hey, I haven't had an allergy in a while now".

My body had defeated them.

Until now. I think I've had one or two other serious allergic reactions to pollen in the past 22 years, and today would be the third. I figure the rains caused  a lot of growth and blooming, and today being warm, perhaps a lot of pollen was released, at Lake Balboa and also the orange blossoms at CSUN. Anyhow, it sent me back to The Years Of Allergies, and how "no fun" they are. They really suck, haha.

Today's allergy is receding, and I will chalk it up to excess pollen in the air, and I will hope that my body's resistance is still in place.

That's all for tonight. See you in the morning!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment