Thursday, July 20, 2017

Pets Rule + Festivals Do Not + Bands That Stick With You

Happy Late Wednesday Night, SB. I hope you had a nice day. I'll bet you are getting pretty excited about your upcoming trip to Iceland! If I remember correctly, that is gonna be next month? Man, that is gonna be an adventure of the first order.  :)

I did see a few posts today. Don't know if any were related to me, but one that was especially sweet was your friend's purchase of the Cat Carrier, the one that looks like a backpack with a window. I had never seen one of those before, but I think it's awesome, cause cats wanna hang out with their human pals too, just like doggies. And since you can't really take 'em on a leash like a dog, that carrier is a great alternative. And the kitty can get a fun ride that way also. I love it that there is this whole culture nowdays, of people really bonding with their pets. I mean, I am sure that has always been the case, but I think there is a sharper focus on it now, of really treating our buddies as animal soulmates.

And of course I am still thinking of The Kobedog all day long, and memories of him have also brought back memories of Alice & Trixie, my ultra-beloved mother/daughter Labs from the 90s, and also of Shemp & Ygor (pronounced Ee-gore), my Lab and Shepherd from the 80s.

The Koberdobe, now that he is on The Other Side, is facilitating all of this new interaction, which is pretty Doggone Cool Of Him.  :)

Another post I saw was of James' "Stay Home" rock festival, which was a riot.

And I have to admit that it is more of my type of festival these days, lol. I mean, as far as regular concerts go, I am still hard core in every respect. But festivals like Ozzfest and Desert Trip and stuff with Ten Million People and End Of The World Traffic and Standing On My Feet For Fourteen Bands is not my idea of a good time anymore, darn it.

Actually, I never went to a lot of festivals anyhow, over the 43 years I've been going to concerts. The main ones were California Jam and The US Festival, both of which had about 300,000 people, and which were historic and so You Had To Be There. Both of those were life changers and well worth the effort.

But with a lot of fests, like the ones in the desert nowdays with 658 bands on 24 stages, and especially the Heavy Metal Festivals, where you are getting your ears pummeled for six hours before the headliner comes on, I will pass. I mean, it's fun and all, and very exciting to see the bands you like and to be part of it, but it turns into an endurance contest at a certain point and you start to get worn down.

But having said all of that - since you are still young, if you have a festival coming up with bands you like, by all means go! The time to do it is in your 20s. Then it is still doable, and worth it.

Then many years later you can give the same advice to younger fans, haha.  :)

On another concert note, I was excited to see the posting of tour dates for Pillorian, Jon Haughm's new band as you know. I will say that I was not huge on their debut album, just because it sounded like a slight setback for him. I thought it sounded like Agalloch mixed with run of the mill black metal, but all the same he is always great live, and the music was still pretty good, if not up to Agalloch standards. I had seen you post something about Wolves In The Throne Room a few weeks ago, but I did not know until today that Pillorian was touring with them. I don't know much about Wolves, I've heard a few of their tunes but it sounded kind of like a wall of distortion to me. Maybe it will be good live. I don't really listen to a lot of Black Metal anymore. What happens with me, in any genre, from Prog to Pop to Metal to Black Metal, is that I will listen to various bands, sometimes a lot of bands, and then only a few will really stick with me. With Metal, I listened to them all in the 80s, but only Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and The Scorpions survived. Motorhead, sort of....but not really, except for the classic "Ace Of Spades".

And with First Wave Black Metal, only Celtic Frost survived. I don't listen to Venom anymore, though they were great at the time...

What happens is that some bands transcend the genre, and show that there never should be genres in the first place! There never were any in the 60s, when rock and roll first branched out all over the place.

Some bands, just a few, become big time Artists, and those are always the ones that stick with me. The ones that go beyond a category, and just make great music.

In recent Metal, or Space Rock or whatever you might call it, for me there were two bands, Alcest and Agalloch. Neige has honed Alcest into a powerhouse live act, now blowing people away. I got to see Agalloch three (or was it four?) times before they broke up, and they were equally as great each time.

So I will be excited to see John Haugham again, just because he is an artist who sticks with you.

Keep making music and taking pictures and making videos and doing everything else you do, and never stop. :)

That's all I know for tonight.  :):)  

No comments:

Post a Comment