Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Composing + Early Music

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice day, and I saw your Eric Whitacre post this morning about composing, so I will guess that's what you are doing, and probably what you were doing over last weekend too. I know you are working on your film, and you even posted that picture of yourself at the keyboard, so I should have guessed you were still at work on it. (I've got a bit of a thick skull, you'll have to forgive me, lol).

I trust - and will bet - that your music is coming out great. I agree with what Whitacre said about composing, and it's the same thing Stephen King says about writing. In his book, "On Writing" (one of his only academic books) he says that people often come up to him and say, "Oh, I really wish I could write! How do you do it"? He says that he always responds by saying : "Start writing".

That's "how you write" : start writing.

And Eric Whitacre says the same thing about composing. You - meaning You yourself, i.e. the SB - have already composed before on many occasions, so you know what it entails, and I add only one "two cents worth" suggestion, which I already mentioned last week, and which is obvious anyway (meaning that you already know it). I say : go deep, and when you sit down and get ready to compose, and even before that, whenever and wherever you are focusing on your music, dig deep, and connect with the emotions and nuances therein that are driving your composition. Make sure the music is exactly (or as close as possible) to what you are feeling as you match it to the imagery in your film.

That's my two cents, and you already know it anyway, but......I love to talk about music! :)

I saw a post on FB this morn, after I dropped Pearl off at church for Golden Agers. It was from the Oviatt Library (my former "home", where I used to write to you on Myspace), and they announced a used book sale that was in progress. Even though I have already "booked myself out of my Tiny Apartment", I couldn't resist walking over to check out the goods, and I found two great volumes on Early Music, one that covered the period from 900AD to 1300, and the other one that covered 1300 to the Renaissance. As you know I love Early Music, so I was stoked to find these books (four bucks for both).

I am gonna start a Gregorian Chant group, haha, especially now that I am gonna sing a bass part next week....  ;)

Seriously though, I love the purity of Early Music, and the profound spirituality.

No hike today, it was a Golden Agers Tuesday, but tomorrow I will try to do one, and I have gotten back into the Swing Of Things so a hike should be doable.....

See you in the morn.

Keep composing! (I first said that way back in 2012)

I love you.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment