Saturday, January 21, 2017

Eric Johnson at The Canyon Club

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Tonight I went to see Eric Johnson at The Canyon Club in Agoura Hills, which is southwest of the Valley on the way to the beach but still inland. I love going there because it's close, only about 17 miles from Reseda, and there's no traffic on the way, and it's a great venue with excellent sound.

What can I even say about Eric Johnson? I have seen him at least a dozen times now, maybe 15 total, going back to 1990 when he first became well known, and over that time he has become one of my most special artists, whose music has meant so much to me because it's been like a soundtrack to my life. Eric is all time Top Ten for me, and as a guitarist he's second to none, but this was the first time I've ever seen him play an acoustic show, and all by himself, with no band. On stage was just him, three acoustic guitars and a Yamaha grand piano. He is also an excellent pianist. We were lucky to see this show because he had been sick and the shows right up to last night had been cancelled. Eric joked about his voice sounding like Kermit The Frog, but he actually sounded fine if a tad rough, and he sipped hot tea throughout the performance.

About his songs and musicianship, I haven't the words, except to talk about color, feeling and meaning. The guy plays guitar about as well as it can be played, and it's amazing to watch - all the constantly changing chord positions, the picking hand that seems to have a life of it's own. He uses the whole guitar, knows every structure on the neck, and so the sound coming out of the instrument is full of color. It's like a kaleidoscope, constantly changing, though not without a strong melodic framework. And that's the main thing, that EJ is such a great songwriter, which is always the goal. The musicianship is there to serve the song, and the lyrics are there to add emotion and to tell a story, and the vocal accentuates all of that, and Eric is also once of my favorite singers as well as guitarists.

But what he does that is most important is that he takes all the talents at his disposal - musicianship, songwriting ability, vocal talent - and uses them all to create meaning.

Music that is heartfelt - and well crafted - creates meaning for the listener, so that he or she will always relate an indescribable feeling to a piece of music that has touched him or her in this way. Such a piece of music will bring nostalgia and remind one of a time in one's life, but it will also do more. It will create a feeling that only can be understood emotionally, but not mentally, and cannot be articulated.

That's what Eric Johnson's music does for me, and it was so fantastic to see him tonight, especially to offset what happened this morning to our country, which I did not watch and will not acknowledge.

No politics were mentioned at the concert. The crowd was smaller than it would be for EJ's electric shows with full band, so I got to stand close, just 15 feet away. The weather was also a factor; he thanked the crowd for "coming out to see me in this Antarctic weather". So you know I'm not kidding about the L.A. Cold, haha.........

The concert ended at 10:42. I was back at the car by 10:44 (yes I check these things!), and back to Pearl's by 11:08. Awesome! That's my kind of concert.

This morning and early afternoon was rain and more rain, some of it torrential. We may slide into the ocean soon, if it doesn't stop....  :)

I saw your post this morning from the gal here in L.A. (a photographer) who was going to a march with her pet goat! I don't know if you meant that you yourself were also going to a march, but if you did then You Rule (which you do anyway, but....well, you know, extra bonus points for marching against that horrible person). And your friend rules too. I think our big marches all start tomorrow....

I will always remember the wonderful concert I experienced on this day.

And it was also David Lynch's birthday, too.  :)

I hope you had a great day, march or no march, and I hope your music is coming along well, and all other projects too, of course.

That's all for tonight, SB. I Love You and will see you in the morning.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment