Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Your Basic Tuesday + Peter Hammill + Quake Anniversary

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Are you still in Florida? I only saw one post today, about Sarah's stress-related Fruit By The Foot addiction, lol. But I am guessing you must still be there, after all, you probably wouldn't have driven/flown down there just for one gig. I hope everything is rockin' and that you are having fun.

Today's afternoon album was "Other World", a collaboration between the great Peter Hammill (singer/songwriter for Van Der Graaf Generator) and an experimental guitarist named Gary Lucas, who once played for Captain Beefheart, a one-of-a-kind- and very weird! - artist who I had the good fortune to see live in 1975, when I was 15 years old. I played this album a few times when I got it back in 2014, and listening to it today I would say that it's not as great as Hammill's solo work (and not nearly on the level of the legendary VDGG), but it does feel "all-of-a-piece" as in the way that one song fits into the next all through the album. It is dreamy and spacey, with a lot of guitar effects. You can't beat Peter Hammill, an average album by him is better than 99% of most stuff out there. He invented what I call The Shakespearean Vocal - he sounds like a stage actor reciting lines when he sings, and he has been a huge influence on many artists, including David Bowie, since making the first VDGG album in 1969. And he's still doing it today at almost 70 years old.

The Hammill/Lucas album was good enough to cause me to purchase the new Van Der Graaf album from Amazon, and I also bought the latest Vangelis album, "Rosetta", of which the samples sounded tremendous.

Today was the 23rd anniversary of the Northridge Earthquake. Few events can be said to be truly Life Changing, but the Quake was one such event. In fact, I think of my life as Before Quake and After Quake, not so much because of the quake itself, but because of the circumstances that were present at the time it hit. My memories of 1989 began to come back in October 1993, and then the quake hit in January 1994, just a couple months later. And with all that was happening both mentally and physically it was like the whole world was topsy-turvy, but also like something amazing was about to happen. I felt like I was on the verge of an Incredible Discovery, like an explorer. And all of that had to do with my emerging memories. One day I will write a book about that time, with the Great Earthquake as the dividing line between the Old Me and the New Me.......I gained Self-Awareness and learned a lot about life.

That was all the news today. Still freezing, working, etc.

See you in the morn. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)




No comments:

Post a Comment