Friday, January 6, 2017

Recording (you) + Rainy (me) + "Fixed Bayonets"

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice day, and I just now saw your post, via Sarah, where she says her solo album is in full swing, so I suppose you might mean that the same applies to you! You are probably working hard on finishing it, I imagine. If you have it on cd, I will be able to listen to it while reading at night, like I do with my other piano music cds. :) As for Sarah, good for her that she is at NAMM, and for her album too.

Still raining today, though for now we have a break in the clouds. I will be excited to see what all the trails and parks will look like with all the new growth they will have from the rain. I have only ever seen them in "drought mode", a little bit green in the Spring maybe, but basically in the Dry State you see in all my pics, with the golden dry grass (which I love as you know). But when Spring hits this year, we should have a lot of new wildflowers and maybe types of greenery I haven't seen before on my hikes. So I look forward to going, but we are gonna need some sun and warmth so the trails can dry up. It would be a mudslide right now.

As such, I continue to hibernate except for my CSUN walk. In the afternoons of late, it's just read and listen to music, play guitar also.

And watch movies at night. Tonight's film was not romantic; it was a War Movie, which is very exciting for me to watch, but probably not so exciting to read about for you. Still, a brief review is in order, as I am on a roll with movies lately, and have been reviewing each one. This was called "Fixed Bayonets", a macho title if there ever was one, and so it had to be directed by the macho Sam Fuller, who also wrote the excellent and real-sounding script. It's the story of a platoon of infantrymen fighting in the snowy mountains of Korea during that war. It's freezing cold out, they are vastly outnumbered, and they have to use trickery to make the Chinese, who actually fought on the Korean side, think they are a larger force. Luckily they have a cave to hide in, and they are led by two battle tested sergeants who know their stuff. The plot centers around Richard Basehart, as an up-and-coming Corporal. He has courage to burn, except in a most important respect: he can't bring himself to kill an enemy soldier.

Because Samuel Fuller wrote the script, this aspect - of the psychology of war - is explored : how ordinary men can be turned into soldiers and then can "learn" how to kill. It is crazy stuff when you think about it, which is why I said at the beginning "interesting for me but perhaps not for you". War has always been a Man Thing. Women neither start wars or - basically - fight in them (though I know they do now, somewhat, but it is still against their nature).

I think it is against man's nature too, as in male.

I am reading all about The Fall Of Man in my book "Genesis, Creation and Early Man" by Fr. Seraphim Rose, and according to him, man lived in an exalted state - along with all of the animals too - before the Fall. There was no violence, not even among the animals, and all creatures, man and animal, were plant eaters.

But I digress. In my lifetime, I was brought up on war movies, because my Dad was in a war, and so I must say that while I hate war, I do love the movies they made about all the various wars that have been fought. So to finish up, "Fixed Bayonets" was a top notch, very realistic look at a close knit band of soldiers trying to hang in there, in one of the worst situations they could be in, high in snowy mountains in freezing cold.

There were no wasted scenes, the action moved from start to finish, and it was shot in outstanding Black & White, using the "day for night" technique of shaded filters over the lens to create an unusual nighttime effect.

I love movies, SB. Mostly old movies these days, but I love 'em. I love that era.

See you in the morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment