Thursday, January 19, 2017

Viola! + Time Management + O'Melveney

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Well, I've gotta say Wow once again. Are you ready? Okay, here goes : Wow! I am of course talking about your New Year's Goal of playing the Viola. At first, I thought you meant it was a goal for the future, an upcoming goal to be undertaken at some point this year. But then I realised, hey wait a minute : that's a viola in the picture; she's already got one! And then I saw in your comments that you have been practicing for a couple weeks. That is awesome, Elizabeth. Man, oh Man......

I think there must be two of you, lol. One minute you're in Miami with Stitched Up Heart, and then I am assuming you are back home because of the viola photo and post. How do you do it all, lol? And also, did you purchase the viola, or borrow it? It is a beautiful instrument as you said yourself, the wood is gorgeous. And the tones from a viola, so rich and colorful. How did you come to choose it? Now I have a million questions, haha. But wow again - it will add a whole new dimension to your music, and you have a natural aptitude as a musician, which is why - as you noted - you are picking it up quickly.

Now I am gonna go listen to some string quartets, so please excuse me for a few minutes....... :)

The whole thing is awesome. Now, though, you are really gonna have to be into Time Management like I am. When you have A Whole Bunch Of Things You Like To Do, and in your case your profession is a Huge Part of Those Things, you are gonna have to Mega Time Manage to fit everything in. But if you are like me, you will find that it's doable, as long as you maintain your discipline. A 16 to 18 hour waking day actually affords a lot of time to do many things. The key, I think, is to keep a schedule and say "at such-and-such time I will do this, followed by that". I am not rigid about it, or I'd stress out, but in a relaxed way I say to myself, "well, I wanna read from all my books today (four at the moment), and I wanna go on a hike (and bring a camera in case of good pics), and I wanna work on my drawing, and I also wanna maybe watch a movie and play my guitar". And I don't really have to think about it anymore because I have become such a Time Manager that it is now second nature.

But the bottom line is that it is Super Cool that you are learning to play the viola, and your goal will be a success.

My record for this afternoon was inspired by your post : "Ives Sonatas" by Hilary Hahn and Valentina Lisitsa. This is another one I hadn't heard in a while but it was perfect for yet another freezing cold, overcast and drizzly (but not yet pouring) day. The music of Charles Ives is very abstract, though woven through with recognisable strains of American historical melodies from the 19th century, and these sonatas meander to many different places, with piano sometimes leading the way, other times violin. Just the two instruments, creating all kinds of moods. I think Ives' music is fantastic, though it takes some getting used to.

No movie tonight, but movies will be back soon. I did go on a Quickie Hike, however (meaning 45 minutes), up to O'Melveney Park for the first time in 2017. The whole place was green, green, green. Best of all was the sound of rushing water in the creek, which just like Aliso was the first time I'd seen it that way. But that sound.......that bubbling, rushing sound of water streaming over rocks......is........

Incredibly Peaceful is what it is. What a great sound, the softly rushing water.

So that was a nice addition to the hike. 

Well, SB, that's all I know for tonight! I guess you are back home, and if so I hope you had a great time in Florida. Meanwhile, congrats on the viola!

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment