Sunday, January 8, 2017

Memorial Service + "One Step Beyond" + Schoenberg

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Just checking in to say hi, I know you are working on the album. Not much to report today, though we did go to the memorial service for Principal Sanders. The church was almost full, as I had expected, and the service, though brief (only 30 minutes) was both powerful and poignant. Mr. Sanders was one of those larger-than-life people; it seemed everybody knew him and everybody liked him.

This evening my friend Dave F. came over for a CSUN walk. The overcast clouds were back; we had rain last night, and though we aren't supposed to have any tomorrow, by Monday morn we are gonna have a lot. On and off for all of next week.

My movie streak was broken tonight because of the walk with Mr. F and subsequent hang-out, but I did squeeze in an episode of "One Step Beyond" in which eerie child star Patty McCormack (from "The Bad Seed") played a young farm girl who could read minds, much to the horror of her parents, played by Leo Penn and Eileen Ryan, the real life parents of Sean Penn, who was not yet born when his future parents made this episode. See how weird "One Step Beyond" is? A great episode of an excellent show.

On a musical note, it's funny, because a couple nights ago I posted a video of Maurizio Pollini playing Arnold Schoenberg's "Piano Music". It was Pollini's birthday (he is in his 80s now) and he is one of the greatest pianists ever, and I happen to love the "Piano Pieces" album, though I know that Schoenberg isn't for everybody. He is atonal, 12 note, cyclic music, totally abstract and devoid - mostly - of melody. You either love him or hate him. I happen to love him, because he was great at what he did. Other abstract composers are not so successful. But anyway, just a day or so later, Dr. Farrell made a post saying that Schoenberg (and his ilk) is a "trashmeister", a musical charlatan with no talent except for cacaphony.

I will bet a nickle he made that post in reaction to my post. I often post organ music; Dr. Farrell is himself an organist, and a composer, so perhaps he has seen my organ posts before. Now maybe he saw my Schoenberg post and saw fit to deem it "trash". I am not offended, because for one I think The Doc is a genius researcher and writer and an extremely intelligent man, and I have read almost all of his books (and will have completed them all soon). But I still must get in another post, just as a slight "jab", because I do know my music, and I do think Schoenberg was great, in his own way, as was Alban Berg and many other abstract composers. Just as all rock and roll doesn't have to be "one thing", one style, neither does classical music. So I will post a little more Schoenberg later on tonight, haha.

That's all for tonight, SB. Tomorrow morn, an easy song : "Seek Ye First", which I've sung several times in the past two years and could sing in my sleep, so no problem for tomorrow.

See you in the morn and then after church. Hope all is going well.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment