Monday, January 2, 2017

Singin' + Chillin' + Readin' + "The Catered Affair" + The Only Way

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

And Happy New Year once again. So how's your year been going, SB? Yeah, I could try to work a few more "New Year/Time Flies" jokes into the blog, but I will thankfully let the opportunity pass, haha. But only til next New Year's Eve! Then, I won't be able to resist.  :)

We had good singing in church this morn, despite having only five choir members present. We sang a vocal harmony piece by a guy named Ralph Carmichael, who worked with Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald and a bunch of others, and also wrote music for TV Shows, and then became a leading composer of Christian music. The song we sang, "A Quiet Place", normally would sound best with perhaps 8 to 10 singers, but we pulled off an admirable job I thought.

This afternoon was just spent chillin'. I was tired because of Up Very Late Last Night and then Up Very Early This Morning, but I managed to read a chapter of "The Andreasson Affair Phase Two", which is the sequel to the first book. I dunno if I mentioned that I am reading Phase Two, but anyway, it is gonna be even weirder than the first, which I like (naturally).

This evening, my friend Mr. Freedy (seen on FB) came over with his daughter for a Supremely Chilly walk, almost down to the duck pond and back. Sub-Zero temps are back (though no Gale Force Winds, thank goodness), and it would be safe to venture a guess that the duck pond might have been a solid block of ice with ducks, turtles and Koi frozen in mid-swim, had we finished the distance to see it.  :)

After the walk, I returned to my apt. to watch The First Film Of The Year, "The Catered Affair", written by the great Paddy Chayefsky and directed by Richard Brooks. Chayefsky wrote social commentary into his scripts (most famously in "Network" in 1977), and in "The Catered Affair" it is all about love, marriage and the struggle of living within one's means for lower-middle class New Yorkers. Ernest Borgnine plays a cab driver who is married to Bette Davis, a practical woman of lowered expectations whose marriage to Borgnine was fixed by her father. Her own daughter - Debbie Reynolds again - is about to get married, so Davis, who was simply an Incredible Actress (she steals the movie) want to give her a lavish wedding, even though her husband Borgnine can scarcely afford it. The plot of the film revolves almost entirely around the attempt to force the expensive wedding to happen, and in that way it is a thin story, but the social commentary - about class differences and the deadening effect of a loveless marriage - fills in the gaps. The acting is what takes the story over the top, and here you have a Best Actor and Best Actress winner (Borgnine and Davis) and one who was nominated several time (Reynolds). It is the type of gritty New York drama, featuring crowded apartment or tenament lifestyles that they made quite a few of in the 50s and early 60s. This one has a comedic touch, and while all actors excel, it is Bette Davis who runs away with it. She was one of the greatest actresses of all time.

So that was the extent of the day for me.

I saw your post, via Joel Wanasek, about "not having a 'real job' " for 11 years. He nailed the whole issue right on the head, and as we have seen - and as we have talked about and as we have shown long ago, there is no such thing as a "Real Job", which is your friend's point.

We nailed the issue from the Get-Go, right where it counts, at the heart of the matter.

The Heart Of The Matter is that is Has Always Been Imperative To Do With Your Life What Your Heart And Soul Call You To Do.

That is Imperative, and no other pathway will suffice.

We discussed, from the get-go, that the only neccessity for achieving This Imperative is for a person to have their Basic Bills Paid. Once that is achieved, everything else is gravy. The success is in The Doing. The money, after the bills are paid, is secondary, a treat. But the fulfillment is in The Doing, and in Living One's Life One's Own Way.

In his case, your friend also mentions something that stuck home with me. He says that he initially set out to be a lead guitarist in a big rock band. That was me at 21, 1000%.

A lot of factors prevented me from even coming close to that goal, many of which were of my own making. But still, I had already made the most important decision - not to do something with my life that I did not want to do. I could not have made it without help from a few other people, my parents most of all, but in the long run I found that my sense of having another, different purpose in life, could not have been more on the money.

I knew my life was different from normal ever since I was a little kid.

I wanted also to be a lead guitarist when I was 21, but it didn't crush me when that didn't pan out.

Because I found out that something even bigger was in store.

And it was all because I trusted what I felt inside, starting at about 17 years old, when I graduated high school. That was when I was supposed to get a Real Job, which I did (and which was a good experience as well, for a time). But I knew that Real Jobs were not my destiny, and I am glad I followed my instincts, and in my case, followed The Lord, who Has Never Failed To Show Me The Way.

It's the Only Way.

That's all I know for tonight! See you in the morn, SB. I Love You.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment