Saturday, April 1, 2017

Happy Friday + Complicated Hunting Tirade + Les Discrets + Todd + "Rawhide"

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

Not a whole lot to report today, just a short hike out at Santa Su this afternoon. Listening to "Global" by Todd Rundgren, which came out in 2015 but which I just got a few days ago. It's really good, one of his better efforts in recent years. I also liked the new song by Les Discrets that Fursy posted this morning. It's got a bigger, more glossy sound than the first album, and a more electronic beat, making it sound somewhat slick, but it still has the dark melodic melodies and blurry French vocals that I have always liked in his work going back to Amoseurs. What I miss is the spontaneous jazziness of that band, which had some really off the wall stuff. But I like Les Discrets, love the first album, and am looking forward to the new one too.

I hope your day was good. I only saw one post, the pic by Morgin which was very well staged. However she got hold of the antlers and pelts, it is quite an anti-hunting statement (if I have the premise right), and I know you yourself have always taken a strong stance against hunting. I've stated my own take many times (probably tiresome by now, I know) which is that : #1, I could never hunt. I have never shot a gun, never want to, and could never, ever in a million years shoot an animal for any reason, for food or especially trophy, which makes me mad. If I had to hunt in order to eat, I would probably starve or die spiritually inside from having to kill. Maybe I would eat weeds and tree bark, I dunno. But as I always state, as things are, in real life I eat meat, having been raised that way, and so others have done my hunting and fishing for me through corporate means, so I cannot condemn those who hunt for food. I will probably never go full-on vegan, and I may never be full vegetarian either, just because my body "calls" for certain proteins like tuna or salmon, or eggs once in a while. I rarely eat red meat, though I ate a lot in my younger days. I guess what I am trying to say is that I understand your friend's picture and the statement behind it (if indeed I have the statement correct. I suppose it could also be a statement of "Woman As Hunted"), but in my own life I really wanted to analyse why I have taken the stance I have taken, which is more of a non-stance, I suppose.

I hate guns with a passion, never have owned one, never will. I have never hunted, never will. I have an extremely low opinion of trophy hunting and think it should be outlawed. But then there are all these tricky issues, ones that I probably don't understand very well because they don't apply to my life, such as ranchers who support the killing of wolves or wildcats, because they say those animals kill their cattle or sheep. I have no idea what "position" to take on that one, and I put the word in quotes because to simply "take a position" is not right, I don't think, unless I consider all the factors, especially when it is an issue that I am not directly involved in. I'm a person who tries to even catch a spider in my apartment, and take it outside rather than killing it, however if I have an invasion of ants, they are gonna get wiped out......

So for me, it's all very tricky, except for clear-cut issues like trophy or big-game hunting. If that is what Morgin is talking about I agree 1000%.

Anyway, sorry for the tirade. Anything with guns or hunting always gets me going.

No movie tonight, but I did watch the very first episode of "Rawhide" (1959), the TV Western that starred Eric Fleming and a young Clint Eastwood. Having seen the show for the first time during the Cassavetes "TV Week" screening at CSUN, I thought the episode he appeared in was great, and so I ordered Season One from Amazon. Every episode is 50 minutes long, and so you get a little mini-Western movie each time. I love it. A few weeks ago, I decided I needed some Western and some Sci-Fi, so I ordered both the "Rawhide" and the "Outer Limits" dvds. Now I've got my fix of both, lol.

Well that's all I know for tonight. I will see you in the morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment