Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Carrie Fisher + "River Of No Return" + "Andreasson Affair"

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Another low key day for me, so not much to report. It was very sad to wake up and hear about Carrie Fisher, but I think it was not entirely unexpected, given the circumstances. It's too bad she had to get sick while on an airplane and away from advanced medical help. At any rate, as you can see she was beloved the world over, and she lived a difficult life with a lot of courage, intelligence and humor.

We had a respite from the ever-blowing Gale Force Winds today, and - in the afternoon at least - the Sub-Zero Temperatures rose a few degrees as well. Thus, I took a walk down to Northridge Libe to look for movies, and later watched one : "River Of No Return" starring Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe. I had not heard of this film, so I IMDB'd it before watching, and some comments claimed it to be a classic of the Western genre, so I was excited because I am a big time Western fan and I have practically seen 'em all. It's great when I find one I haven't seen. The big surprise in this film is Marilyn Monroe. I have not seen many of her films because I always thought of her as a pop culture icon rather than an actress. Because she too died young, and because of the circumstances of her life and involvement with the Kennedys, who also died, she seems almost mythological. But here, under Otto Preminger's direction, in the scenic mountains of Montana, she does a very credible job as a saloon singer who hooks up with the always reliable and very talented Mitchum for a rafting trip down a dangerous river in order to escape a band of killer Indians. There is a whole lot more to the story than that, and overall I am in agreement with the IMDB comments as to the quality of the film. It was shot in widescreen CinemaScope, it looks fantastic, it also has super handsome Rory Calhoun as The Bad Guy, and a lot of other stuff happening. And, Monroe sings her own songs. I was surprised. She was more talented than her image would suggest, and I guess that they wouldn't put you up there with Robert Mitchum unless you could hold your own.

I saw your post this morning of Ola Gjeilo piano music. Piano and choral. I heard a piece called "Tundra" that was very beautiful, ethereal in the Einaudi mode. Right now I am listening to music played by another fantastic but less well known pianist named Geza Anda, who came from a similar time period to all my other favorites. I also finished my book this morning, "The Andreasson Affair". When I began reading it a couple weeks ago, I thought, "this is so far out that there is no way it happened". That was after maybe 15 pages or so. But then I told myself, give it a chance. After all, what about what happened to you (meaning myself)? Isn't your story seemingly unbelievable, too? So I kept reading, and now that I have finished I think it is one of the most mind-boggling UFO Encounter stories I have read. Truly unspeakably weird, and I believe true as well. Life is a strange thing sometimes, and if you open your mind and heart on a daily basis, it is always a mind blowing thing, in the best possible sense of Always Being In Awe.

For me, as you know I have one simple instruction for people who find it hard to Feel In Awe amidst the grind of daily life.

I say (as you know) : "Just look up".

Just look up, and if that doesn't put you in awe and reveal to you the absolute miracle you are living in, then I do not know what will.

But I think it will do the trick for most people. It works for me on a daily and nightly basis.

See you in the morn, SB. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment