Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Excellent Photo (as always) + Metallica + Charles Dickens

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

That was another excellent picture of Betty this morning, magazine quality. You are so good with portraits and you always get the best out of your subjects, so congrats on another great one. :) I hope your day was good. I went for a nice hike at Limekiln Canyon from 3 to 4pm. The wintry, overcast atmosphere created a soft cast of diffused light in the park, much different from the earthy, sun-drenched nature vibe of Summertime. When I say "wintry", of course I mean Valley style (which would be t-shirt and shorts weather for you, haha), but because we do have so much sun and heat for so many days a year, when we do have colder, overcast weather it creates a noticeably ethereal feeling, like Nature is sleeping or meditating. All is calm and the colors really stand out on the trees. I didn't bring my camera this time, because the hike was spontaneous; I'd been shopping at a nearby Trader Joe's and I decided to go to Limekiln. But I will take more pics soon.

You can file this next bit of info in the Good News/Bad News department :

First, the Good News - Metallica is gonna have a "Block Party" concert on Hollywood Boulevard on Wednesday. It's for The Jimmy Kimmel Show, and it's free. You have to have a ticket, but I was lucky and scored two free tickets for me and Grimsley. Not only that, but I got extra lucky and somehow got Priority Tickets, the holders of which are let in first. These "Block Party" Kimmel things are pretty cool. They aren't full concerts but usually last about an hour, so.......the shabularity is definitely negligible, right? Plus, I haven't seen Metallica since they opened for Ozzy in 1986, and their new album is killer. So that's the Good News.

Now for the Bad News : I can't go. For the Van Halen "Block Party" in April 2015, the start time was 7pm, so by the time I got there I still got to see most of the show. But for some reason, with Metallica, they are gonna start at 6pm, and for those with Priority Tickets, you have to be in line by 4:30. So I'll be at work and can't make it. Grim is gonna go, however, and I will watch it on Kimmel (though they'll only show one song, maybe two max). I can't complain, though. That run of shows I saw from August through November was an All-Timer for me, and I soon have Eric Johnson and Alcest coming up, so all is well, as usual.  :)

I see from one of your posts that your friend Justin also got free tix for a band called Pretty Reckless. I am not familiar with their music but I have an FB friend named Dan who is local and knows some mutual friends, and he goes to see that band all the time, pretty much every time they play. Dan is a big Sunset Strip rock club guy, he goes to tons of shows on The Strip. It sounds like Justin is making a home here in Los Angeles, and playing in a band too, so good for him. :)

Not much else to report today, except that I just finished watching a dvd of a Charles Dickens BBC series from 1994 called "Martin Chuzzlewit". A great Dickensian name, lol. As you know, I have become in recent years a Shakespeare lover because of the local stage plays in the Summer by the troupe "Shakespeare By The Sea". And even more recently, perhaps two years ago, I became an equally big fan of Charles Dickens. It started with "A Christmas Carol". I watched all the great versions of it, and then - perhaps because my appetite was whetted by the Shakespeare plays - I wanted to see more of Dickens. And because of "Christmas Carol", this seemed to be the time of year to watch him. So, in the past couple years I watched BBC series of "The Old Curiosity Shop" and "David Copperfield". And this year I watched the six-episode "Martin Chuzzlewit", which may be my favorite so far. It concerns the old man of the title. He is wealthy and everyone is after his money.

As I am becoming familiar with Charles Dickens, I have no doubt that he was the equal of William Shakespeare. Each man knew the human character with the keenest insight, and each could write in the voice and thought of any character. Each could tell the most intricate and classic stories of dramatic structure, encompassing all the human emotions and variations of conflict. Shakespeare wrote in the late Middle Ages using the most refined English (exponentially more refined than today), and Dickens characters spoke in the various dialects of the English of the early 19th century, when the language was broken up. But each writer knew the human heart and mind to the utmost degree, and I think they are the greatest, and Stephen King, too, for American writers. He is classified as "horror", but he really is a writer of the human mind and heart, like Dickens and Shakespeare.

The other thing about these BBC Dickens presentations is the acting. To say it is "good" or even "great" doesn't do it justice. These English actors become their characters, each and every one, to the extent that you are transported back to the 1840s, in England, and you live the story with them.

So that was all the news today. FB showed a few more of your posts today, like your friends in front of a church in the snow, and a couple of videos that you liked, so as I say, maybe you have been posting and FB just doesn't show it because of their format. But anyway, I am glad when you do post and I can see it.  :)

I hope all projects are coming along well, and I am always looking forward to what is coming next.

I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment