Thursday, December 1, 2016

Tours & Projects (for you) + Limekiln (for me) + Piano Tirade Inspired By Trifonov

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope your day was good and that any projects you are working on are coming along well. I am still looking forward to your personal project that you filmed a few months ago. I know you were working on the music for it, and that probably takes a while, especially if you are working on client's projects as well. But I will be glad to see and hear it when you do put it out. I saw a few posts today, too, mostly having to do with bands on tour, including Versus Me, so it looks like a lot of things are in the works. :)

It was a gorgeous day here, so I took advantage of it by going up to Limekiln Canyon at 3pm. Limekiln, as reported in past blogs, is the "other" preserved nature canyon on Rinaldi Street. It is located about two miles west of Aliso. I don't go to Limekiln as often, as I've also mentioned before, just because Aliso is closer and a bit more awesome. But as I am reminded whenever I do go to Limekiln, it has it's magical qualities too. One is that it's a little more like being out in the mountains, because of the pine trees. Another reason is the creek, which I have photographed before. But also the colored leaves, as in my picture today. You won't see such leaves at Aliso, which has mostly ancient oak trees, and just looks more ancient in general....

So, a nice hike, though quick and local. I am glad to be getting back out there! You inspired me with your birthday photo. 

Tonight at home I was listening to KUSC because Jim Svejda (famous classical host) had Daniil Trifonov as a guest. Trifonov is a young Russian pianist whom I may have posted before, and who some are calling the best pianist of his generation. I was interested because a) I love piano music as you know, and b) I had seen Trifonov on Youtube about three years ago and thought he was pretty amazing. So I listened to the radio show tonight and heard more of his music.

His playing really is astounding, but the more I listened, I thought : "there is something missing".

This is not to take away from him at all, because his playing is flawless, even beyond supershredders like Yuja Wang.

I listened to the whole show because ever since I first heard Trifonov, who is still only 25, I have wanted to like him, and I was ready to buy his new double-cd Liszt recording. But then as the show went on, I backed off, because there was something missing. Don't get me wrong; Trifonov is way beyond just being a piano shredder (and they are a dime a dozen). His playing is so flawless that it's ridiculous.

And I think that's the problem.

I wonder if some of these musicians over rehearse. I know it's not unheard of now for some top level pianists to rehearse up to 14 hours a day. With players like Yuja Wang (who does nothing for me) the technical ability is off the charts. What I like about Trifonov is that he is a least attempting to move beyond sheer ability. But I think with these newer players, they have gotten so far removed from what made the piano (and piano music) such a wondrous vehicle for the expression of music in the first place....

And that is it's emotive capability.

Good Lordy Moses, SB. We have already been through, several times over, why the piano is the most emotive of all instruments (including the guitar, which I love). But maybe when you practice 14 hours a day, you refine all the emotion out of it. That's Yuja Wang, and Marc-Andre Hamelin and Lang-Lang (who isn't all that good anyway, imo).

I want to like Daniil Trifonov, because I have never heard a technique like his. It's really amazing, so smooth and so tonal. He is also not a Piano Banger (thank goodness!) like Sviatislav Richter, who many think is the greatest pianist of all time. I am not of that opinion. To me, Richter is the Ultimate Piano Banger, lol. Trifonov has a softer technique, but with all his tremendous ability, he is missing the emotive magic of the players I consider to be the true greats.

Sofronitsky. Lipatti. Kempff. Cortot. Clara Haskil. Arturo Michelangeli Bennedetti. Mauritzio Pollini.

And a few others.

They were all players from the past century, when technique was very important to be sure - of supreme importance - but of even more importance was to convey the music.......

And when I listen to my Big Three, the first three mentioned above, I am swept away. Carried away by the playing of the music, rather than just the playing of the instrument.

That's what I think about Trifonov - who I still really want to like. He plays the instrument perhaps at a level that it's never been played before, or at least with few peers.

But he doesn't play the music as well as he plays the piano. He plays the music well, no doubt.

But I will still take Sofronitsky, Lipatti and Kempff, who not only play the music well, but connect it to God.

That's great playing, for me.  :)

That's my Piano Tirade for tonight. :)

I will see you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment