Saturday, December 24, 2016

Tire Shop + Pouring Rain + "Christmas Carol" 1938 version + Carrie Fisher

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a good day and are settling in for a nice Christmas weekend. I am writing from home. It has been raining steadily since about 5pm, and it is freezing cold outside. After leaving Pearl's at 2pm I was at Tire Pros for the rest of the afternoon, getting two new front tires for my car and new brake pads all the way around. My car is old but it was worth spending the money because it runs good. The job took 2 1/2 hours, so I was just sitting in the shop looking at magazines and watching other customers come and go.

Since I got home I've just been relaxing : reading and looking at the music for tomorrow night's Christmas Eve service. We will be singing "Sing We Now Of Christmas", which is a fairly well known modern arrangement of some older melody that is unknown to me. On that one, it's mostly unison singing. I just wanna make sure that I sing the right notes on the brief sections that aren't unison.

Wanna become a real choral singer here, SB. Gotta be note perfect; no more foolin' around.  :)

Our other song tomorrow night is called "One Small Child" by David Meece. That one is reverential, like a hymn, but with very pronounced vocal lines, so it's a great one to sing and I already know it by heart.

Tonight I did watch a movie, the 1938 version of "A Christmas Carol", which was also the first one. It was made by MGM (yay!) and starred famed character actor Reginald Owen as Scrooge. I had not seen this version before, and while I don't think Owen is quite as effective as was Alistair Sim in the 1951 classic version, it was still an excellent portrayal, and overall the film was ebullient in it's take on the Dickens story. It is the Cheeriest of all the Scrooge movies I've seen, and also the briefest, at a mere 69 minutes.

I'm tellin' ya, SB, I should have lived back in the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Or even back in the 1820s.

I am just made for Nostalgia. And I love the way in which Hollywood promoted what I will call The Sentiment Of Good Values in that era, in the movies of the Golden Age. The acting then was not as realistic as it is nowdays, perhaps, but in a way it was larger than life because the actors were portraying an Ideal. The ideals of the way we would like to be.

So, I say "Hooray For Hollywood", as the song goes, but I mean more "hooray" for then as opposed to now, even though they still make good movies nowdays. But man, the mythology of Golden Era Hollywood is something amazing......

I was in the tire shop looking at a tv in the waiting room when the news about Carrie Fisher came on the screen. That is terrible, and this year has been terrible in that way. I had just mentioned Debbie Reynolds in a blog from last week, having seen her in "Susan Slept Here" as a teenager, and then just last night I was talking to Grimsley and I mentioned that I'd been unaware that Reynolds was Carrie Fisher's mother.....

Hopefully she will recover, and kick 2016 in the rear end for taking so many beloved artists away.

That's all I know for tonight, Sweet Baby. See you in the morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment