Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Sub-Zero/Gale Force + "Girl With Green Eyes"

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I am writing from home once again, and for the next two nights as well. I hope you had a nice day. I didn't see you on FB, so you might still be doing the holiday thing and visiting relatives, or working on a video. I did see a pic you took of The Milbrandt Boys, and that was awesome. I get a kick out of those guys (and their choice of cover tunes, Beiber et al) and also their Dad is a definite kick. He is a character, so James is just keeping in the family tradition. Good stuff.  :)

I didn't do much today myself. I went over to sit with Pearl for a little while this afternoon while her daughter went to visit a friend, but after that I was mostly inside The Pad. I did brave the Sub-Zero Temps and Continuing Gale Force Winds for a walk at 7:30, but then I came back in and hunkered down, heater on full blast. It's a Cold One this year, SB. The L.A. Cold means business this time.

Tonight I did have a movie, called "Girl With Green Eyes" from 1964, starring Peter Finch (of "Network" fame) and a young actress named Rita Tushingham who was an "It Girl" for a little while in the early 60s, for being in a few hit movies and hanging out with The Beatles. The movie is about a country girl from Ireland who falls in love with a married writer. Lynn Redgrave co-stars as her more worldly best friend. Redgrave would go on to big success as "Georgy Girl" in the movie of the same name a couple years later. I was a little kid then, and though I did not know about these films at the time - and they were for adults anyway - I was totally enamored with early 60s English culture (even though I didn't know what "culture" was), just because of The Beatles and the British Invasion of all the rock music coming to America at the time. When I was four or five, English culture was having a huge effect in America. And so now, I love to discover movies from that period that I didn't previously know about. I found this one at the Libe a couple days ago, and it is a jem through and through. There was a "realism" movement in English cinema of the late 50s and early 60s, to show the lives of working class people, to take the gloss of things, and this one has kind of a "broken Fairy Tale" quality to it. For me, as well as enjoying the movie as a whole, I also love the scenery of 60s Mod England, the way they dressed, the hairdos, the way the buildings looked. I probably should have lived in England in the Early 60s, just like I should have lived in America in the 40s and 50s.

Well anyway, a sweet little movie, a minor classic of the era, and shot in picturesque black and white.

Other than that, just reading my books : "The Andreasson Affair" and "Creation, God and Early Man". And listening to the immaculate pianism of Wilhelm Kempff.......

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment