Friday, December 16, 2016

Happy Friday Night + "Only Angels Have Wings" + Grand Canyon

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice day and a good start to your weekend, even with the cold temps. It is raining here, and the rain is supposed to continue through mid-morning tomorrow, then clearing again for the next several days. Today was just a basic workday with no hikes, but I did watch a movie tonight : "Only Angels Have Wings" (on Criterion), made in 1939 and directed by the great Howard Hawks, who - on a side note - was born in Goshen, Indiana, just like my Dad. Two Goshenites who made it out to Hollywood.......  :)

The movie stars Cary Grant as the boss of a small air freight company operating out of somewhere in South America. It focuses on the heroics of the pilots, who fly mail out of a small town high in the mountains. This is the early days of flight, so there are no jets, just single wing prop planes that struggle to get through the mountain passes. Considering the camera techniques available at the time the film was made, there is some fantastic aerial footage of these vintage planes through very high and jagged mountains. I will have to check into where they filmed it. It might just be the San Gabriels (local to Hollywood), which are plenty jagged enough, but anyway, the movie was a good adventure story from the Golden Age of Hollywood, co-starring the famous and very early Movie Star Jean Arthur, who went all the way back to Silent Pictures. Also appearing in a minor role was the beautiful Rita Hayworth. The restoration by Criterion was superb, with the majority of the picture looking as good as it did when it debuted in theaters. Shot in tremendous Black & White, my favorite.......  :)

That was about all on my end, except I watched part of the Rams game, until I couldn't take anymore because of how terrible they are (yeah, sports, I know....) and I also started a new book : "UFOs and Anti-Gravity: Piece For A Jigsaw" by Leonard Cramp.

I saw the picture of James, sitting on the edge of the Grand Canyon. That was a great photo, but wow.....

You'd never get me out there, SB. Not even close, haha. It's literally like you are sitting on the edge of the World, as he said in his comment. One slip and you could Fall Off The Face Of The Earth.

So, to recap : Great pic. But I wouldn't do it for a million dollars!  :)

It even seemed to make James nervous (as per his comment), and normally it would seem like a total James thing to do.....

Well that's all for tonight. See you in the morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment