Wednesday, June 28, 2017

7am (long day?) + Jonesy + "The Mountain"

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope you had a nice day. I saw one post from you, via an FB friend named Edgar, about "getting up at 7am and not even having a nap all day", so I took that to mean that you had a similar long day and were tired. It's possible you did not mean the post in that way, or as information for me, but I thought you might have, just because Edgar is not a person I have seen you post regular "likes" for, so maybe you used his post as a communication device.

If you did have a long day, I hope it was of the good kind, like working on a project, rather than the "trying" kind. I am betting on the former.  :)

Anyhow, I'm glad you posted. Maybe you can post more tomorrow if you get the chance.  :)

Our heat wave cooled down today, it was only 95, lol. No hikes, as it was Golden Agers day, but I did almost finish my Steve Jones book, "Lonely Boy". He was the guitarist for the Sex Pistols (which I probably mentioned) and he now has a radio show here in L.A. which is really great because he plays all the music from the 70s, all the Glam and Progressive stuff, that my friends and I grew up on. But boy, has he ever had a messed up life. Or at least he did until the early 90s. Typical rock n' roll tale of multiple severe addictions, and in Jonesy's case, he was a major-league thief as well. He stole all kinds of musical equipment from famous bands, stole clothing, purses and wallets, anything he could get his hands on. He even did this after he became famous. But he got sober in 1992, and has come out of the tunnel, and has tried to make amends to all the people he ripped off. It's one hell of a rock n' roll tale, and I think if it was anybody but Jonesy as the protaganist, readers would have little sympathy. But because he is such an open and engaging person now, even on his radio show, you can feel for him. I was never a big Sex Pistols fan because I hated the punk movement in 1977. I didn't hate The Pistols, because they were the original, and I still have my 45rpm single of "God Save The Queen", but that was as far as I went (besides The Ramones). But Steve Jones transcends punk because he has been through so much. It's like he has lived five or six lives in one. I don't generally read a lot of rock biographies, but this was a good one.

No movie tonight, but last night I watched a film from 1956 called "The Mountain" with Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner as a pair of brothers (supposed to be German, but played with American accents haha) who decide to climb a high and difficult mountain in the Alps to search for survivors of a plane crash. Younger brother Wagner is a sociopath who only wants to go up there for the perceived loot. He figures that the passengers will have had enough cash and jewelry with them to make the climb worthwhile. Older brother Tracy is against all of this, but as a master mountain climber he feels he mustn't let his kid brother make the ascent alone. He feels he can stop Wagner's plot somewhere along the way, and perhaps talk him out of it.

All kinds of adventure ensues, and a lot of time and suspense is expended on the climb itself. It is a tribute to the acting of Spencer Tracy (one of the greatest of all time) that he is mainly convincing in his role, including in some impossible spots on the side of a frozen mountaintop, given that he looks very elderly. He was only 56 at the time, a year younger than Yours Truly, but he looks 75. Still, he pulls it off, and the movie - though slow in parts, with a slightly above average script - is overall pretty good.

I had never heard of it before I did a search for the films of director Edward Dymytryk, so I guess it's pretty obscure too. But worth a view for a movie hound like myself.  :)

Well, my girl, that's all for tonight. Post more if you can. I am thinking of you.

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment