Monday, June 12, 2017

Happy Sunday + Good Singin' + "Gorgo" + Food For Thought

Happy Late Sunday Night, Sweet Baby,

I am writing from home, my first night off. We had good singin' and practicing in church this morn. I got to sing an interesting harmony part on our anthem, which was a variation on the hymn "Oh How He Loves Me". A lot of my melody line was static; just singing the same note on the refrain "Oh-How-He-Loves-You, Oh-How-He-Loves-Me", but the effect was really neat when combined with the fluid melody lines for the other singers. It had a Barbershop Quartet feel, which I liked because I love vocal harmonies. I'd like to try some really complex harmonies one of these days.

I had a nice walk this evening, and then I've just been relaxing & reading my Secret Space Program book, which is weird because it seems to contain a lot of legit info, but also this fantasy stuff from Corey Goode, which is presented almost as if it is supposed to be taken as fantasy, or perhaps as an allegory for something more "real world". It is not always easy to tell in the world of disinformation, in which it can be difficult to discern truth from fiction.

But I will tell you what is easy to discern : the awesomeness of the movie I watched tonight.

"Gorgo"! (I added the exclamation point because Gorgo deserved it). "Gorgo" is the story of a Monster who is brought from the bottom of the ocean to the surface by an undersea volcano. A group on a salvage ship manage to capture him in a giant net. They then tranquilize him and transport him to London, where they make a nice profit selling him to a circus promoter, who names him "Gorgo".

Shades of "King Kong", I hear you say. And it's true. But it's done really well, and not a ripoff.

"Gorgo" is a dinosaur. Why he lives in the ocean is not clear, but anyhow, he is now in the circus and hating every moment. He is captive, held in a cement basin, and people pay to stare and laugh at him.

He has one supporter, a little Irish kid. The movie is a British MGM production.

At any rate, a local paleontologist makes a startling announcement : "Gorgo" is not a full grown behemoth but only an infant. A full grown version of the species would be 200 feet tall.

Well, sure enough, as if on cue, here comes Gorgo's Mom, all 200 feet of her, out of the ocean to rescue her boy. In the process she tramples and destroys London in what has got to be one of the greatest special effects model setups in movie history. The filmmakers made a huge model city, replete with all the landmarks like Big Ben and Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, etc.

Momma Gorgo crushes them all. This set piece lasts for the final 15 minutes of the film and is extremely impressive for 1960. The movie was shot in Technicolor, and normally I would prefer b&w for Monster Movies as you know, but in this case, the color is fantastic because of the gaudy lighting in downtown London. It's really spectacular. The movie has a sweet ending, too. Instead of killing both Gorgos (which the military has been called out to do) the writers have Momma surviving the attempt and then rescuing Baby Gorgo from the circus enclosure, and then heading back out to sea with him, as the little Irish boy looks on.

It's a pro-Monster monster movie! Man, was it great....and apparently it was a box-office smash when it was originally released.

Only a slight problem with the print quality. If I were Criterion I would restore it. Fingers crossed.  :)

I saw your post via your friend who has quit his day job to make touring his priority. He says he is flying to L.A. tomorrow.

There is a lot of food for thought in that post, as it relates to the way we communicate, and I suppose some things could be interpreted by me to pertain to what we were talking about in last night's blog.

:):)

When I read a post like that, I guess I interpret it in an overall psychic way, and the key words here seem to be "L.A." and then some other very exciting things that he mentioned about visiting with friends and catching up.

But as it pertains to last night's subject, I certainly understand what you mean, SB.

And I like it and I agree.  :):)

You are in the driver's seat in such a situation - which we have talked about because of the age difference - so all I will say for the moment is that I am here, and I am listening.

In the meantime, just keep Doing What You Do, because you are having an amazing year, with "Notepainting" and the "Red Gown" photographs, among other projects. So just keep doing what you are doing, and I am right here, and I am listening. That's the best way I can put it.  :):)

I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment