Saturday, June 10, 2017

Happy Friday + Varg & Other Black Metal Nutcases

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope your weekend is off to a good start. As usual, not much to report from me. I took The Doberman to the groomer. He is All Goodboyed Out as a result. :) Starting Sunday night, I will have a week off, and I am just gonna chill and relax because I am mega-tired, just from my job being the way it is nowdays. I don't get a lot of sleep. But a full week should recharge my batteries, I think. Especially if I watch some more Monster Movies.

I did not watch a movie tonight, but I did watch an episode of "The Loner", written by Rod Serling, and I listened to the new Bill Nelson album, "Luxury Wonder Moments", which I just got in the mail yesterday.

I saw a comment by you on FB, to a friend's post, about Varg Vikernes. I remember when I was really immersing myself in Black Metal (second wave Black Metal to be precise) in 2011, and I started listening to bands like Dissection and Burzum, and a whole bunch of others whose names escape me at the moment because I really don't listen to a lot of that stuff anymore. I read all about Varg in a book called "Lords Of Chaos", about the Scandinavian Black Metal scene in the 90s, with it's burning of churches and stuff. The thing with Varg - besides his "philosophy" - is that his music is, at best, okay. In my opinion anyway. I mean, Mayhem was really bad when compared with great first wave Black Metal like Venom or Celtic Frost. Burzum has some good stuff, but it did not stick with me, not when there were bands of major talent like Opeth and Alcest. Dissection was a similar story, although they were actually a very powerful band, musically more along the lines of traditional metal. But their leader, Jon Nodtveidt, was a very troubled guy, into "Satanism" (whatever that means) who wound up participating in the murder of a gay man. Later on, he killed himself.

I actually still listen to my Dissection albums once in a while, simply because the music is so powerful. But Jon was a nutcase, and a killer, and so is Varg. The guy Varg killed was no prince, either. There are lowlifes in Scandinavia, just like here at home or anywhere in the world.

Tom G. Warrior, who invented the Black Metal vocal style along with Chronos from Venom, has got it all over most of these bands. His band Tryptikon is heavier and more brutal than any "Satanic" band, and more intelligent too. He could blow those guys off the stage. And of course Celtic Frost was legendary, and took Black Metal into art rock territory.

I guess I say all of this just cause Varg is really nothing more than a very disturbed guy with a modicum of musical talent. I am sure you already know this, however.

Speaking of Alcest, I think Kodama is the heaviest record they have ever made, and those screaming vocals he does on several songs are the most powerful of that style that I have ever heard. But besides just being heavy, he is also very musical, as we know.

Well, anyhow, the music you like best will stick with you in the long run, throughout your life, and you will find yourself always coming back to it.

In Other News : LeBron James and the Cavs destroyed Golden State tonight, so now my LeBron Anxiety has been reawakened. I just know he will win the next three games to pull off the biggest comeback in NBA history. And Golden State will do an even bigger choke than they did last year. They will lose four straight games.

I mean, they won't really lose four straight......right? Or will they?

I wish I didn't care about sports, and the funny thing is : I don't. 

I loved sports as a kid, and I loved it when it was "for fun" and not all about big bucks and big egos.

I hope all projects are going well, and that your duets composition is progressing also.  :)

See you in the morning. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment