Sunday, June 25, 2017

Happy Saturday + Thoughts + "City Of Fear"

Well, SB, I did see two posts this morning. One was the pic of Sarah and Drewsif and the other one was one of the guys from Dreamhouse. I don't know if those posts were meant for me, but in each photo there was one person with an arm around the other, so maybe you did mean it that way.

If that was the theme, then thanks (and see how observant I am, lol?). Just to reiterate, despite my comments yesterday, I wasn't mad at you, just hoping for communication. It was great in the days when I had an FB "news ticker" that continually scrolled all the "likes" and comments everybody was making. Back then, I would see all kinds of stuff from you over the course of a day. That was when you were still in school and not working, I know, but when they took my news ticker away, it made it much harder to communicate. I know I've mentioned this before, too.

I'm a guy a who loves to write, to communicate, to talk about all kinds of stuff. Pretty much any subject except dumb stuff and politics. For me, it's been hard because I've been alone for such a long time. I know I have whined about that, too, but it really is hard as you approach 60. I definitely do not recommend it. I think for me, my natural born shyness has had quite an effect on my life, and my inability to "break the ice" in meeting people. And yet I met you - over the Internet, yes - but it was still a meeting.

It's really the "heading towards 60" part that is affecting me nowdays, just not wanting to be single anymore.

I have a lot to give, and I really want to share life with someone. :):)
To be alone all the time is not easy.

Well anyway, enough complaining. Tonight I watched another excellent movie, totally different from "The Prisoner Of Zenda" but still great. It was a Noir called "City Of Fear" (1959) starring Vince Edwards of "Ben Casey" fame as a convicted killer who escapes from San Quentin with a stolen container of what he believes is pure heroin. He is under the impression that the prison officials were doing drug experiments on the inmates (shades of the CIA), when in reality the experiment was with a highly radioactive substance called Cobalt 60. Even more nefarious; to see what dosage the inmates could withstand (total CIA). At any rate, Edwards drives south to Los Angeles with the container of "heroin", which he plans to sell for a million bucks. He has a connection to help him, and is planning to take the money and move to another country with his girlfriend.

But what happens instead is that he begins to get sick from the radiation. The steel container is not strong enough to prevent leakage (only lead will do that), and at first he thinks he has the flu. But in a subplot, the cops know what is really happening. They know about the Cobalt 60 but have to keep it a secret from the Mayor and the public, due to fear of mass panic, because Cobalt 60 is so deadly it could kill off a whole city if released into the atmosphere.

So : Wow! There you have one hell of a plot, and the movie has one hell of a script and great direction. Once again I must Tirade about what can be accomplished in a short time, 75 minutes in this case. Modern directors should study, study, study.......and then study some more, the screenwriting from the 30s through the 50s, to see that every scene and every sentence counts. Everything is meant to Drive The Movie Forward. And in movies with good to great scripts, like "City Of Fear" or last night's five star "Prisoner Of Zenda", this is exactly what happens, because of a Succinct, Smart Script.

That's basically all for tonight. I hope all projects are going well. Tomorrow is church, and a well known Gospel song : "Shall We Gather At The River". Our director has drilled us that we are not to pronounce the "R" at the end of "River", because it sounds........nerdy. Not Gospel.

Instead, we are to sing it as "Riv-ah", and I concur wholeheartedly. We have sung this one a few times and I really enjoy singing it.  :)

I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment