Monday, June 19, 2017

Happy Sunday + The Moody Blues

Hi Elizabeth,

Happy Sunday Night. I guess you have been busy the past few days cause I haven't seen you on FB. I did see one post this evening, the pic with the drummer from Stitched Up Heart. Anyhow, I hope all is well and that your film with Aaron is coming along as planned. :)

I am back at Pearl's. Earlier this eve I went to Warner Park in Woodland Hills to see Ticket To Ride, the Beatles tribute band. As you know, I see them several times a year, and always at Warner Park in the Summer (or close to it). They always draw a good crowd, and it was also timely because today is Paul McCartney's 75th birthday. Man, who ever thought a Beatle could be 75?  :)

Last night I went to the Hollywood Bowl to see The Moody Blues. It was a first for me; I had never seen The Moodies before, and I might not have gone had Ono (from FB) not asked me. It's not that the band are not good, or that I don't like them : they are of course legendary, and they had a very famous seven album "run" in the late 60s to mid 70s that is among the greatest creative periods by any group in rock history. It's just that, in the 80s and 90s, they kind of recreated themselves into a Platinum Pop Rock act, making middle of the road Top 40 music. Which is what they were known for in the last few decades.

But : in the 60s and 70s, they were as great as it gets. In 1967, they made an album called "Days Of Future Passed", which was recorded with an orchestra, and many observers consider it to be the first true progressive rock album. I'd say it's neck and neck with "Sgt. Pepper", which is still great company. If you've ever heard the songs "Tuesday Afternoon" or "Nights In White Satin", they are from that album.

Anyhow, that's why I went : because it is now the 50th Anniversary of "Days Of Future Passed", and the band was gonna be playing the album all the way through, with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, and it was also gonna be a Premier - the first time they had ever played it this way live.

So I'm glad Ono asked me, and I'm glad I went. They did two sets, as many bands do nowdays, and the first set was indeed mostly filled with their material from the 80s, very commercial sounding. Out of nine songs, only two were from the classic era. So the first set was so-so.

But then they came back out and did "Days" in it's entirety, with the orchestra, and a psychedelic light show.............and it was pretty mindblowing, with a big fireworks show at the end.

It's just amazing to think that certain classic albums are now a half century old, and certain classic rock stars are now 75. The drummer for The Moody Blues, Graeme Edge, is 76, so he even "out olds" Paul McCartney!  :)

That's basically all the news for the past couple days. Now it's back to the grindstone.

Post if you get a chance, and if you wanna.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo    :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment