Thursday, June 15, 2017

Los Angeles? + Mega Hike At Santa Su

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

SB, are you here in Los Angeles? I saw a post earlier today, maybe around Noon or 1pm, in which you were tagged. It was via your friend Katie and I am pretty sure the tagged location was Los Angeles. Well, if you are here, I hope you are enjoying our city! The only other post I saw was a nice pic of the mountains with beautiful white clouds above them, but that one was from Spokane, Washington. Well, anyway............if you are here, and you wanna say hi......well, you know.  :)

I have said you are in the driver's seat on that score, and I don't wanna put you on the spot or put any pressure on you. I mentioned your post from a few days ago, the one I said was "food for thought" (I think that blog was just a couple days ago), and that post had some comments about one of your friends moving to L.A., so I recognised the L.A. reference.

So, yeah........wow!

Well, if you are here, have a blast. You came at the right time for heat, cause we are heading into the triple digit territory (depending on the area; the beaches and Westside can be 20 degrees cooler).

I am off through Saturday.

But no pressure, as I say. I will keep an eye on FB, though, just in case.  :)

Today I went on the most mega hike I have ever been on at Santa Susana. Being off work, I was able to take my time, and so I went to the top of The Devil's Slide as I usually do, but this time I kept going to the Lilac Lane trailhead about another 1/4 mile down, and then past that to the trail that leads to the former site of Spahn Ranch, of Manson fame. All that's there now is a flat dirt plateau, but I have always wanted to hike there just to say I did it. At a certain point, though, the trail got a bit steep, and I had already done about 1000 feet of elevation gain (like climbing the stairs in the Empire State Building), so I figured "well, I will try it another time from the Lilac Lane entrance, where I can just go straight to this part of the trail".

So I turned back, and when I got back to Lilac Lane (at the top of The Slide), I noticed another trail that I'd never seen before. It led due North, over a hill - not too steep - and so I followed it, and it led down about a half mile all the way to the 118 Freeway! Holy Smokes! The 118 runs just North of Santa Susana Pass Road, which was the route to Simi Valley before the freeway was built. All of a sudden I was looking across the freeway at the trailhead for Rocky Peak, which I have hiked and photographed in years past. So on this new trail I had come all the way to the Spahn Ranch side, but ended up North of Spahn at Rocky Peak.

I kind of blew my mind on that one.  :)

The mileage wasn't as far as you'd think : I'd guess about 4 to 4.25 for the round trip. But the elevation gain all told, after the final hill climb, was probably around 1100 ft, so it was One Heck Of A Hike. And, I wound up on the Spahn Side, which I've never done before. So that was Mega.

The rest of my day was The Usual : reading several books and watching shows, tonight Part One of an awesome two-part "Outer Limits" called "The Inheritors", starring the great Robert Duvall.

I hope you had a great day, wherever you may be. I imagine you are probably working on a project with Katie, too, so I trust that is going well.

Anyway..........well, you know. :)

See you in the morning. I Love You!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment