Friday, June 9, 2017

Dreamhouse Tour? + "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms"

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope you had a nice day as always. I only saw one post, but it was for Dreamhouse and a tour they are gonna do in Texas next month. Are you gonna go with 'em? If so, totally awesome! And even if not, I know you will have other stuff coming up. But I hope you get to go....  :)

Nothing to report from me, just cause it was Thursday which means Hair Salon. I did do a little shopping at the Super King produce market, and bought kale, spinach, radishes, broccoli, bananas, a white onion (my favorite, even more than red), ginger, carrots, plums and nectarines. And a couple cans of tuna.

Oh Boy!

I do love my fruits & veggies, though I hate the time consuming (and boring) chore of washing 'em and chopping 'em up into the Nightly Salad (just the veggies, not the fruits, which are eaten in the afternoon). But preparing veggies is like tying shoes, something you've gotta do every day but which is total drudgery.

But watching Monster Movies is not Total Drudgery, and tonight's movie was a five-star classic : "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms". There's another "Headline Grabbing" title for ya, as seen in recent sci-fi films I've reported on. Now, I don't know the measurement of a fathom, so I have no way of proving or disproving the depth in the title, but there definitely was A Beast, and he was no mere Man In A Rubber Suit! This time, the effects were by the legendary Ray Harryhausen, who pioneered the use of stop-motion for the movement of "model" Monsters, and who also utilised miniature cities and buildings and all kinds of other effects of lighting and staging to create "realistic" sci-fi and fantasy scenarios onscreen. For my money, he's got it all over today's CGI effects, even though the CGI looks smoother and his look rickety by comparison. But what Harryhausen had was craft, he was a special effects artist, and the love for his art shows up in his work, which was stellar for the 1950s.

The movie is part "The Thing From Another World" and part "Jurassic Park". It opens in Antarctica, where scientists are conducting an atomic bomb test, blowing apart the ice cap. But holy smokes, they made a big mistake, because in blowing up the ice, they also uncovered a Humongous Angry Dinosaur that was flash frozen 100 million years ago, down at the bottom of an ocean canyon. After some fishing boats encounter him, the scientists send a diving bell to the bottom to search for him.

Then all hell breaks loose. :)

This is my kind of sci-fi, and I saw a few minutes of this movie on TCM at Pearl's a couple weeks ago, which led me to seek it out in the library system. And they had it. Now I will look for more Ray Harryhausen films, because I am on a 1950s Sci-Fi Monster Movie Kick, SB! Big time! And I need monsters, be they in Rubber Suits, or in stop-motion, or if they come from The Bottom Of The Sea or from Beyond Space.

Just as long as they are from the 1950s........or maybe up to about '62 or so. No color ones, please, just black and white.  :)

Well, that's all for today. Looks like the Warriors are gonna win the NBA Championship for sure this time, so I am not undergoing the usual LeBron Anguish I face every year at this time. Of course, they could always do a Major Choke like they did last year (meaning Golden State), but this time it looks to be in the bag.

Yeah, sports......I know. :)

See you in the morn. I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)


No comments:

Post a Comment