Friday, November 25, 2016

A Nice Thanksgiving + "Prince Valiant" + Thankful :):)

Happy Thanksgiving Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving Day with your family, whether spent at home or with relatives. Before I left for Pearl's, I saw your post about "being thankful for chips" (and all things having to do with chips) and I thought that was funny because I had already bought a big bag of Mission Tortilla Chips to bring along, because my sister always makes a bowl of salsa and me and her husband Nico always pound chips and salsa as an appetizer.  :)  Apparently, you have some variation on the same theme.

We had, as always, an excellent meal at Pearl's, courtesy of her daughter Helen. We started early, at 1pm, had lots of good food & conversation, and wine.....and conversation.......Trump was a big topic. And recounts. We've gotta recount three states, SB, including yours. Hillary is creaming Trump by over 2 million votes in the popular vote, and if they recount it, she will win those three states and the Electoral College too. And The Presidency.

Of course, the chances of all that happening are extremely slim, because The Powers That Be don't wanna upset the Apple Cart.

But you never know. And even just to challenge the results - when we all know she beat Trump - is reason enough to do it. Just to prove it.

But back to Thanksgiving......after all the wine and conversation, it was time to watch some football, for the men at least. This time it was just me and Nico. Son Andrew (my nephew) fell asleep, and Other Son Ali was not in attendance due to overpartying in Las Vegas on his recent 21st birthday. He didn't feel good today, and is learning the hard way as all us older folk have done in that regard, haha. But he is a great kid and will be back next year, I am sure.

After football it was time for dessert (meaning pies, which are right up there with chips on the list of Things To Be Thankful For) & coffee.

As for The Kobester, he did not swipe a Turkey Bone - being as he is now a very old guy - but he did enjoy a small portion of leftovers, as well as his Usual Dog Dinner, which he pounded. Then he crashed out at our feet during the football watching session.

So that was our Thanksgiving. :)

Later this evening I watched a movie : "Prince Valiant" from 1954. You know how yesterday I was keeping with the Seafaring Motif by watching "In The Heart Of The Sea"? Well, tonight I went back to the King Arthur Motif, begun a week ago when we watched "Lancelot Du Lac" at CSUN. Then when I saw Anderson Rabin and Wakeman on Monday, Rick Wakeman came onstage wearing his King Arthur Cape, which has been his standard stage attire for a while now. So I figured I needed more King Arthur and The Knights Of The Round Table, and I Googled such movies a few days ago, then ordered a couple from The Libe, and "Prince Valiant" arrived yesterday.

Man, what a great movie!

It's shot in Cinemascope, ultra widescreen, with countryside locations in England, including a castle. The movie is 1000% Hollywood, with an American accent from the star, Prince Valiant himself (Robert Wagner), but it doesn't matter because he is so good in all other ways in his role. He wears a black "Page Boy" wig throughout, and it's funny because it looks like a really goofy hairdo now, but a few years later, in the mid 60s, there were plenty of famous rock bands, like The Byrds and many more, who sported the Prince Valiant look for a while. But back to the movie, in a short summing-up, I loved it. Directed by the great Henry Hathaway, shot in Cinemascope and in Technicolor, with Huge Hollywood Sets, what I will call "stagey" acting, where every actor invests him or herself in the role in a non-realistic way, but very theatrical yet without hamming it up. If you had seen enough Big Hollywood Productions from the 1950s, then you would see what I mean. "Prince Valiant" is a perfect example of how it was done right, and I thought it was great on all counts. Now I will look for more movies from the King Arthur Motif......but only classic ones. You've gotta have a great cast & production, a great director......man, SB, I am in danger of going off on a Motion Picture Tirade here, haha.

I won't though.

But man.............Motion Pictures.

You've gotta Do 'Em Right.

And In Hollywood, there was a certain Era when they did them right. And that was The Golden Era, which was from the early 1930s to the late 1950s. I would boil it down myself, just a little bit, to the late 30s to late 50s, about a twenty year period, and including select films from the early 30s.

But that was Studio Hollywood at it's peak. Hundreds and hundreds of great movies, in all genres.

Today was a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.

I also saw your Eric Whitacre post. That started my day and set the tone for the whole day.  :):)

I am so thankful for you, Elizabeth.

I Love You and will see you in the morning.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment