Monday, November 14, 2016

John Rutter Is Hard To Sing + "Dome" & "Dead" + More Corps Than Ever

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a nice Sunday. We had a good performance of our song this morning in church, and then an hour long rehearsal afterward to work on our upcoming Christmas songs. The John Rutter "Christmas Lullaby" is hard, SB. I think it's the hardest thing I've sung so far, because of the high register but also because of the legato style. You have to sing high, but you also have to temper the volume while still maintaining the intensity. There is a refrain in which the lyric "Ave Maria" is sung, and the notes jump up and down, and man it's hard to hit that line in the correct way. When I'm in the car and I can sing as loud as I want, lol, I can hit all the notes and sing it reasonably smoothly. But at practice, when I have to lower the volume to blend with the other voices, it's really hard to do it without my voice cracking.

So, this week I am gonna practice it and practice it until I get better on the Ave Marias. And by Christmas week I am gonna have it down. And then I will be able to say I can really sing tenor.

You have been in a choir, so you probably know about "head voice" (singing from throat) versus "chest voice" (singing from diaphragm). And the hard part is the dividing line, the switching over from chest voice, which is lower register, to head voice, which is the high stuff. The middle ranges are easy, a piece of cake, but to develop the high range is like developing a muscle. You've gotta work out!

Luckily I am in the car a lot, so I have a practice room, haha.

Not much else to report except that I watched the final episode of "Under The Dome" tonight, and I am sad to see it end. I loved this series! I guess I started watching about last August? Not sure, but anyway it was so much fun. So many great characters, and you never knew what was gonna happen next.

A little while ago I watched tonight's episode of "The Walking Dead". That's probably not your kind of show, so you likely don't know who Negan is, but I must say I'm getting a little sick of him. He's pretty obnoxious, even worse than Trump, and.......well, I won't go off on any tangents or tirades tonight.

Trump Is Toast. That's my motto and it still stands.

I'm more Marine Corps than ever, SB. I just can't tolerate bad guys. My life has made me that way.

I saw your post of the doggie picture, though, and it made me happy.  :)

You are awesome and I love you. And I am looking forward to all of your upcoming work.  :)

I will see you in the morning after some much needed sleep.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment