Friday, November 4, 2016

Beautiful Photo + Gram Rabbit + Movie + Communication Question

Hi Elizabeth,

Happy Late Night. I hope you had a nice day, and for the last couple days as well. That was a beautiful photo you posted this morning, of the trees and winding river. You didn't specify where it was taken, but you did mention living in an area of natural beauty, so maybe the photo was taken close to home? You know I like small details in photographs, and in this one I like the bridge, and then waaaay back in the background you can see some structures. I can't tell what they are, but that's the kind of small detail that I love in pictures, something that grabs your eye and adds wonder to the scene. That particular place is spectacular.

Last night I went with Grimsley to see Gram Rabbit play at a place called The Bootleg Theater near Downtown L.A. We used to go see them all the time until about 2011 or so, but then they broke up and your fellow Wisconsinite JVR went solo. Right now, though, they are back together for a mini-tour of a few shows out here, so it was a blast to see the full band once again.

Tonight was movie night at CSUN, only we didn't see the originally scheduled Bresson film ("Un Femme Douce") because they had a problem getting a suitable copy of the film to screen. It's never had a proper dvd release, and available copies in any medium (VHS, etc) are hard to come by. So, instead The Professor showed us a "Bressonian"-type film called "The Match Factory Girl", made in 1990 by a Finnish filmmaker named Aki Kaurismaki. It definitely had the Bresson style, and a great, nearly expressionless performance from the lead actress who played the girl with a dreary job in the match factory, the rest of her life is equally boring, depressing and unchanging.

The film has a darkly comedic element that appears at the end that is perfect as it relates to the persona of the Girl. What she does just seems like something she would do. It's a great performance by an actress known only in Scandinavia. I had never heard of the film, but thought it was great. In fact, I looked up the director on the Library website, and ordered another one of his films.  :)

Well, that's all the news for the last couple days. You haven't been on FB much at all recently, which is why I skip days. I don't know to what degree you want to keep communicating, or if you have the time to do so, but all I can do is respond to when you do post. Not much new that I can write on my own about my regular workday life.

So, if you wanna keep communicating, please post, and if you can't or don't have the time, I will understand.

I Love You. See you in the morn.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment