Saturday, November 19, 2016

Late Night Love + Eat Your Greens + Mom + "Something Wicked"

Happy Late Night, my Darling,

I hope you had a great day and that your weekend is off to a good start. There is not much to report on my end, just a bit of shopping this afternoon at the produce market. I bought turnip greens this time instead of kale. I love me some turnip greens, and collard greens too. You might be thinkin' "gross" (or you might not), but I know when I was younger it was strictly romaine lettuce for me. Other weirder greens were to bitter tasting. But I was always a plant eater, and I always ate my greens, even as a kid, and eventually I grew to like any vegetable or green at all. Once you get used to 'em, there really aren't any that are awful, and actually I think they all taste pretty good. And, they are good for you. So turnip greens it is this time.  :)

Today would have been my Mom's 93rd birthday. I sure do miss her every day, though I was fortunate to have her in my life until I was 45. Thank You Lord, for my Mom.  :)

Tonight's movie was "Something Wicked This Way Comes" (1983), the Disney production of Ray Bradbury's famous story that starred Jason Robards and Jonathan Pryce. I saw this movie in the theater when it came out, and though I was a little disappointed at first - because I didn't know the story and had been expecting a full-blown horror film - there were qualities of the movie that stuck with me all these years, and upon watching it a second time, thirty three years later!, I think it was those qualities that made me realise, this time, that it is a great movie after all. A minor classic at least.

The qualities are mainly the presentation of evil as a quiet, invasive force, in this case as a carnival headed up by Mr. Dark, as played by Pryce. The setting also plays a part. They chose a classic small town location in Vermont, that just exudes Americana, and finally there is a fantasy aspect to what Mr. Dark offers the people of the town a chance to regain their youth. Two young boys (the stars of the film) see through his facade, and he hunts them down, ultimately through Robards as one boy's worn-out elderly father, and this sets up a confrontation that is a centerpiece of the film. The scene in the library between Jason Robards and the Shakepearean Jonathan Pryce is reason alone to watch this film. Two fantastic actors at the top of their game, and I think it is this quality most of all, the quality of the acting and the story, that stuck with me through the years. The director was Jack Clayton, who made one of the top ten Horror Films of all time with "The Innocents" from 1961. There are a few special effects which "date" the film in the 80s, before CGI (which will also look dated eventually), but all in all, even though the film is Hollywoodised and made by Disney, there is still a creepiness in the story that brings out the dread. And the art direction and look of the Carnival itself is awesome. A definite thumbs up from me. :)

Well, that's all I know for tonight. I saw one post by you, about a guy who has lost weight and is trying to work out and get healthy, but because it was a "first time" like, by you of an FB friend I have never seen you post before, I am guessing you meant it more for yourself? Maybe as a response to the subject of hiking (and dangling feet?) I don't know, only a guess, because you have never need to lose weight, but maybe the talk of hiking and getting in shape all go together.......or maybe your friend on FB is a client in a band.

At any rate, it's all good. I will see you in the morning.

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment