Sunday, November 6, 2016

Arizona + Steven Wilson Was Phenomenal

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

I see that you went to Phoenix rather than Sedona, but you are still surrounded by the beautiful desert as you know. I also saw this morning that you did fly there, so my guess was wrong, and I'm sure it was a heck of a lot easier to fly for three hours than it would have been to drive for three days, and the best part is that you are there already. I hope you had a good flight and a great day. :)

You must be either working on the film you and your friend began earlier in the year, or maybe it's a new film or project? I guess I will find out when the results come in. I liked your photo at the airport, and again there is a small detail that gives the picture something extra. This time it's more of a medium-sized detail and I'm sure you can guess what it is : the tail of the plane sticking up in the middle of the picture. I also like the black and white, of course!  :)

Well, I am back from the Steven Wilson concert, and I think that it was as good as a concert can get. I mean, I know I always say that (and I always say that, too, haha) but the thing with artists like Opeth and Wilson is that they are carrying on the progressive rock tradition from the 1970s and doing so at an equal level with the greatest bands from that era, which is not an easy task.

Steven Wilson's show tonight was just Off The Charts. Three hours (including 20 minute intermission between two sets), Quadrophonic sound, exceptional lighting effects and film projections and a band of incredible musicians. But it wouldn't mean a thing without the music, and the deal with SW is that he can go from playing very melancholy songs that are achingly beautiful and put a tear in your eye, to ripping into musical excursions of densely layered, complex progressive rock. His music is very technical but the basis is in the emotion, which is brought forth as much from his lyrics and vocals as it is from the powerful musical sections. My goodness, he is a talented songwriter.

If you remember I had misgivings about The Belasco Theater where I saw Opeth two weeks ago. Well tonight I love it! And that's because tonight I had a clear view from the railing on the balcony, rather than a cramped side view as it was for Opeth. Tonight my spot was awesome and I got to watch the show unobstructed. Steven Wilson is also a noted producer and a Soundmeister, and so there were speakers placed around the back of the theater to produce the surround-sound effect (quadrophonic), and it was really intense. You could hear every instrument with great clarity and separation.

It was simply a phenomenal show, and I don't know what else to say.

There is a feeling and power in his music that is extremely special.

I feel incredibly grateful for tonight's show and for the run of shows I've seen recently. There is an organic feeling I sometimes get, about the way these concerts fit into The Scheme Of Things, that I can't put into words. I know that a lot of skill and practice goes into these shows, but there is another element present. It's as if the experience of such concerts was created out of Whole Cloth, as if they pre-existed, and it feels that way because of the three or four dimensional experience of sight, sound and personality of the artist. Remember, SB, that one of the great mysteries of the Universe is that no one knows what music is , nor where it comes from......

But when it is this great, in concert as an entire show, with lighting and theatrical effects, it seems to come fully formed from some place besides just a rehearsal hall.......

Well, that's all for tonight. Tomorrow is church and choir. I will see you in the early morn and then again after about 1:30.

I Love You. Have a blast on your trip!  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment