Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving + "In The Heart Of The Sea" + Magic Castle

Happy Late Night, Sweet Baby,

Happy Thanksgiving also, to you and your family. I hope you had a nice day, whether at home or traveling to spend the holiday with relatives. I will be at Pearl's, in keeping with our family tradition that goes back to the early 80s, and maybe even before that. In those early days it was just my folks and my sister Vickie who attended. I may have mentioned that in my early 20s I used to do my own Thanksgiving dinners where I would cook and have a bunch of friends over. But anyhow, I've been sharing the holiday at Pearl's since 2004, and now I've been working for her since 2010 anyway, so there you have it. :)

We will probably have me, Vickie, her husband and two sons, and Pearl and her daughter. Seven of us, and of course The Kobedog, who will be expected to steal a turkey legbone out of the kitchen garbage can at some point during the meal. And then he will sneak away....real slowwww.....("here I go, I'm the dog and nobody can see me") even though he will walk right past us. That's his Thanksgiving Tradition and I hope he keeps it!

That dog is so much The Man. I just straight-up love the guy.  :)

Today I didn't do much. Still blowing my mind on the ARW concert, which came out of a Higher Dimension. I slept in, then read my book ("The Orchard" by Charles Grant). In the afternoon I went for two walks; first to Northridge Libe for movies, then later to the Delicious Bakery for a spice cake for tomorrow. This eve I watched one of the movies : "In The Heart Of The Sea", directed by Ron Howard and starring Chris Hemsworth, who often plays a Big Handsome Lug but can also be pretty good when he wants to. He was really good in this, the true story of the real life whaling disaster behind the story of "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville. The story takes a little while to develop, and when they first harpooned a whale I found it a bit depressing because as we know they are magnificent creatures and in danger today. But back then they were one of society's first sources of oil, to light the cities of America. That was something I did not know.

The story then develops and we see what happens when greed takes over the captain and crew, who then run into the legendary Great White Whale, 100 feet long. I did not know that "Moby Dick" was based on a true story, and a harrowing story it is. I chose this dvd because besides being directed by the always reliable Ron Howard, I had just watched "The Finest Hours", which was tremendous, and I wanted to keep the Seafaring Motif going. This film was not quite as all around excellent as that one, but it was close, and once the confrontations with the whale begin, it really takes off. What a story of survival.

So that was my evening. And I went on my regular walk after the movie.

I saw your post of your friend Katie at the Magic Castle. That is pretty cool because I think you have to have an invitation to get in there. It's not a place where you can just make reservations, like a restaurant. It's located, I believe off of Franklin Avenue (near where my brother lives), and believe it or not, I was there once, when I was real small, maybe five or six. And I once had a book - and I may still have it - from a magician who did shows at the Castle. His name was The Great Slydini. My Dad, because he was part of Hollywood show biz in the 60s, got invited to the Castle a few times, and one time he brought me back this autographed book from The Great Slydini. I will have to check my jam-packed closet to see if I still have it.

Your friend seems to be doing well with her career, and I take it that she does live here in L.A., which I have asked before. You too will see our city one day, SB. It's a lot of fun, and also really just a "regular old, normal place".

Well, that's all for tonight. Again, have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I will talk to you tomorrow evening!

I Love You.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo  :):)

No comments:

Post a Comment